15 amp S type fuze stripping on replace

Old 01-14-14, 11:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rejection Base fuse stripping on replace

Recently blew a fuse, not knowing these were primarily for AC's i pulled it out to test it. After i found the blown fuse( a standard tl 15 amp) i tried to put the fuse from the S-type back in and the brass band around the socket keeps stripping the plastic threads on the fuse. I think what happened is IName:  20140114_115617.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  37.5 KB bent that ring a bit and what i wanted to know is should that jagged ring be pushed inward or should it be flared out? I was thinking about using a pair of needle nose pliers to bend it back in so its not cutting the threads.

Last edited by jonny564; 01-14-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 01:52 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I think what happened is I bent that ring a bit and what i wanted to know is should that jagged ring be pushed inward or should it be flared out?
How did you do that? Maybe I should ask why did you do that? That is a Fusestat adapter and they generally cannot be removed in an attempt to install a TL fuse. Where was the TL fuse that you said blew and why do you now have a problem with a Fuststat adapter? Why don't you just replace the TL fuse with a new TL fuse?

Old 01-14-14, 02:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the tl fuse has been replaced and is all good now. I originally thought the T fuse was the one that blew because it looked a lot different than the other ones(Has an internal spring, as the other 3 are standard edison tl fuse's)

So when i pulled out the rejection base fuse i thought a piece of it was still stuck in the socket so i tried to pull it out with pliers. Whatever i did moved the teeth on the adapter enough to where i cant screw in the original T fuse without it grinding against the brass ring and cutting up the plastic threading. I know i can completely remove the rejection base socket but i would rather keep it in, so im trying to figure out if i need to bend those brass teeth back inwards so the threading from the fuse and the threading on the adapter can meet with no resistance.

Old 01-14-14, 05:38 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I have my doubts that you can remove the Fusestat adapter without destroying the edison base socket. I think you should try to repair the damage already done to the fusestat adapter and reinstall the proper 15 amp fuse. The alternative would be to replace the fuse panel with a modern circuit breaker panel.

Old 01-15-14, 02:04 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Many decades ago I DID remove a type S adapter. It took several hours and was a royal pain. Further, it was in a separate cover for a four-inch box and I could hold it in my hands while I worked on it. Removing one from a fuse panel that is in use would really test my patience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: