Replace 2-Gang Box

Old 01-15-14, 12:20 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace 2-Gang Box

I currently have a 2 gang box that has my front porch and inside hallway light switch. I am installing a Belkin WeMo switch for the front porch in order to automate my front light. My problem? The 2 gang box is old and too small so that I can't actually fit the switch back into the box.

What's the easiest way to replace this box without causing too much wall damage? Should I pull all the wires out and try to unmount the box from the stud? Replace it with an old work box? Or would I use a new work box in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 12:37 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
2 Gang Box

Use a Sawzall to cut the nails holding the box to the stud. Pull the box out of the wall and replace with an old work box. Buy the deepest box which will fit in the wall.

Old 01-15-14, 01:20 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about a Sawzall based on recommendations from other people but that's a quite expensive tool. Is there something I can use that's a little more affordable?

Old 01-15-14, 02:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there something I can use that's a little more affordable?
I use my Sawazall with a wrecking blade for everything from cutting galvanized steel pipe to trimming trees. Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever did without one. But if you just can't afford one buy just an eight inch Sawzall wrecking blade. Wrap the tang end with duct tape to make a handle and your good to go. Now you even have a hand saw to enlarge the hole in the Sheetrock slightly for the old work box.

If the box is on a hanger may take a bit more improvisation to get it out.

Old 01-15-14, 08:11 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hacksaw blade and some elbow grease should do the trick.

Old 01-15-14, 09:21 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
If you need more room in the box I would seriously consider using a three-gang box and cover plate with either a blank section or a blank insert panel.