Add On/Off Switch between charger of router

Old 01-17-14, 06:58 PM
Add On/Off Switch between charger of router

Name:  switch.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  31.7 KB
I'm trying to add a On/Off switch so whenever I want to turn on my router I don't have to plug in from the end of the charger . That way the cable can be connected all the time and I can just use the switch . I don't know what else do I need or how to wire it, That switch is a 6 pole switch

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-14, 07:36 PM
Can you provide more information, or more pictures, of your switch? I doubt it is 6 poles. More likely, from what I can see, it is a 2PDT switch - 2 poles, double throw.

Do you have a meter? Set it to continuity (ohms) and check from the middle pin on either side to the one above/below it. Move the switch and see if the circuit opens/closes.

Old 01-17-14, 08:49 PM
Adding the switch is easy but is it that you hope to accomplish? Some routers have an off-on switch but maybe yours doesn't. If you want to save electricity then you really need to switch the power BEFORE the wall wart as that power supply DOES use some power at all times whether or not the router is powered.

BTW, that is a power supply, not a charger.

Old 01-18-14, 12:16 AM
Get a surge protector plug strip with a switch . Plug the wall wart into that .

God bless
Wyr

Old 01-18-14, 01:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The switch on a muilti-outlet strip is way easier.

Old 01-18-14, 06:00 AM
Turning that router on and off is not ideal. Their designed to be on and stay on. Besides you'll get better performance by not having the router re-establish all the info needed to make a connection. All routers should have security settings.

Old 01-18-14, 10:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Norm. Gee everything powered by the router has to initialize every time. It takes up to 30 min for a microcell to initialize, plus printer. Nope, power on that puppy.

Old 01-18-14, 10:45 AM
If you are concerned about saving power, there are way better ways than keeping your router off when not in use. Keep your router on and install a cfl bulb somewhere to make up for it.

Old 01-18-14, 11:49 AM
If you are concerned about saving power, there are way better ways than keeping your router off when not in use. Keep your router on and install a cfl bulb somewhere to make up for it.

Better still skip the CFL and remove a bulb altogether.

Old 01-19-14, 06:40 AM
The contacts on the back should be oriented with the up/down direction of the rocker on the front of the switch to form an H pattern.

Connect the two wires from the transformer: One wire goes to center terminal on each side.

The wires are marked in some way to let you know which is + positive and which is - negative. You need to keep them consistent. One of the transformer wires has a gray stripe or a ridge. Connect the similarly-marked plug wire to the terminal above its corresponding transformer wire. Connect the other wire above the other transformer wire. The bottom two terminals are not connected.

The switch is either a two position (on/off) or three position (center off with only one position powering on the device).