Help no power to three rooms

Old 01-18-14, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help no power to three rooms

Last week my washing machine outlet stopped working. Yesterday an electrician determined it to be a breaker and he fixed the outlet power. He said he moved the wire of the non working breaker in the breaker panel to an unused breaker.

Things were working fine.

Today all of a sudden the upstairs rooms lose power.

This was working yesterday and everything has been fine till that one issue with the washing machine. I checked none of the breakers were tripped. ii reset them anyway. Still no power. Its sat and cold. We depend on a heater in the room for warmth. So its going to be a cold night if i cant get it fixed. Please help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-14, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there is only one breaker for three rooms a heater probably should not be used on that breaker. The load probably loosened a connection. Have you read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html? Do you have a multimeter or test light for basic testing? (No, a non contact tester won't work.)

Old 01-18-14, 10:48 PM
To be more specific, it is two rooms and a hallway basically the computer was on and light in one room. The room heater was not on. i have lived in this house for 10 years and the heater has been there for at least half that time. So this is a coincidence that roughly 24 hrs after the breaker panel is touched this circuit stops functioning ... ? Could there be some other possibility ?

Old 01-19-14, 12:51 AM
Power Loss

As mentioned you will need a voltage tester to try an isolate this problem. If you do not have one, they are available at radio shack or most hardware stores for a reasonable cost. You do not need a fancy meter just a basic multi-meter will work. I would suggest you test between the hot and ground terminals of one of the receptacles on the circuit that is not working. That would be between the small slot and the u shaped slot. If you get a reading it means the breaker has not tripped and you most likely have lost the neutral at some point in the circuit. If you know which breaker supplies the circuit you could turn it off and see if any other outlets that are working now, turn off. If something else turns off, you have a place to start checking for a neutral that has failed. If you don't feel safe about doing the testing yourself, I would suggest you call your electrician.

Old 01-19-14, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A cheap multimeter, $8-$15, is good but get analog not digital. Cheap digitals can be influenced by induced voltages.