Circuit issue

Old 01-19-14, 09:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit issue

Thought I had a short in a circuit in the house. Lost power on a circuit when it tripped. Circuit would not switch back on unless there was no load at all on the circuit. Replaced the circuit break, but against when any load was placed on the circuit, it would trip. Replaced all switches and outlets on the circuit. No longer trips, but now only one switch (of three) on no outlets are working. I'm lost.

No pictures hung recently. So not really looking for that answer. From my estimation, the switch that is working is not the first in line on the circuit, adding to my confusion.

Thoughts?

Old 01-19-14, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,353 Votes on 1,251 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's pretty hard to follow what's going on there. A light load should not trip the circuit breaker.

Did you check to see if you lost hot or neutral or both ? Check from hot to ground and check from neutral to ground.

Old 01-20-14, 07:56 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
I'm thinking something was reinstalled incorrectly. Were there any wiring changes done just before the circuit started to trip?

Old 01-20-14, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Is this a GFCI or AFCI breaker?

Old 01-20-14, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Is it possible the tab was not broken on the brass side of the receptacle making the switches inoperative?

A breaker may not reset until it cools down enough if there was an overload.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: