Removing Fluorescents from Mobile Home = mess!

Old 01-19-14, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Fluorescents from Mobile Home = mess!

Help!

I have an '84 Nashua mobile home in Bozeman, MT

I removed 7 fluorescent fixtures from my "new" home by removing the bulbs, covers, unscrewing the fixtures and then cutting the wires (on what I now see was some bad advice)

Now I have no lights working in both bathrooms and a linked bedroom is completely dead (lights and plugins)

I had a friend who has experience in industrial electricity check it out and he is stumped.

My questions are:

do I need to replace each set of wires with a new fixture in order to get the other lights working again?
some holes where the fixture was removed have 2 and 4 sets of wires coming out of them, how do I tell where they lead to?
is this hopeless?

I can email someone a wiring diagram I got from Nashua as well as a scan of my notes on what I have narrowed down so far if that helps...

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give me!
(I'm already kicking myself for listening to bad advice so no mocking please )

Cyd

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-14, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm just trying to figure out why you wanted to remove the lights at all ?

Temporarily cap off the wires at the two wire locations.
At the four wire locations you should be able to join the like colored wires and cap them off.
Usually the four wire locations are "always live" locations and pass thru from one to another. So if you recombine the wiring the remaining lights should work.

Also....since you just cut the wiring.... there will be blown fuses somewhere that will need to be replaced.

Old 01-19-14, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your reply!

The lights were really ugly and outdated.

On the 4 wire locations, join all 4 black wires together as one and all 4 white wires together as one, etc?

I checked the breaker box and all the switches are good... where else would there be fuses?

Old 01-19-14, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
I should have asked this sooner.... are these 12vdc fixtures or 120 vac fixtures ?

I just did a search and it turns out you have a manufactured home..... not a mobile home so that means the wiring will all be 120vac.

Based on this my previous instructions may be incorrect. You may need your electrician buddy to bring a voltmeter and a wire tracer or tone generator. Some of those wires may be switchlegs and by connecting all the same colors together may create a short.

Old 01-20-14, 12:00 PM
Mobile Home

I would suggest you have your electrician friend come back with a volt meter. I also assume you know what wall switch controls what light. Knowing that I would suggest you first locate power at any of the boxes, then remove the plate from the switch that controls that outlet. Take a volt reading at the switch(hot to ground)while one of you touches the hot to each of the black wires in the light outlet box until you have identified the switch wires. Then connect all the blacks or all the blacks and the white that feeds the switch if thats the case, all the whites and then cap off the switch leg that returns from the switch to the light. Go to the next box and do the same until you have identified all the switch legs and connected all the feed-thru wiring.