Duplet Switch cross wired?

Old 01-19-14, 10:07 PM
Duplet Switch cross wired?

I am in Orange County California and I am remodelling a bathroom. I have a Leviton Duplet Switch I want to run two items. Easy enough.
1- Exhaust Fan and light
2- Vanity Lights

In the box are two lines. One is capped off and the other went to the old single light switch- No Exhaust fan before remodel.

I add a run for the new Vanity lights, 12-2 from the box to the light box in the wall. I test it- It works.This is good.

I then wire up the exhaust fan, new wire nuts, and new tape (this is the only armored-metal- electrical box in the house) The line in the armored cable went to the fluorescent lights I replaced. The instructions on the fan unit clearly shows how to wire up the unit for running both fan and light off one switch. I follow them and test it. It works. This is good.

Sounds good right? Well, this is where it goes off the rails. Switch one is on in direction A and switch 2 in on in direction B. I am not too OCD but this is even driving me crazy. My girlfriend? she says I gotta fix it.
I tried changing the wiring on the switch- one side to the other on only one of the switches. No Joy. lights only work if one is 'on' and the other is what looks to be the 'off' position.

I am thinking I did something wrong- but both lights are working like I want, just not in the positions I want them to.
How do I fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-14, 11:20 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

On the red circled side of the switch are two screw terminals very close and electrically tied together. That is the side where the hot power coming in goes. It can connect to either screw.

On the other side of the switch, where the screw terminals are further apart, the fan/light goes to one of those blue circles and the vanity goes to the other.

Name:  xxx.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  12.7 KB

Old 01-20-14, 10:34 AM
I have a Leviton Duplet Switch I want to run two items. Easy enough.
1- Exhaust Fan and light
2- Vanity Lights

In the box are two lines. One is capped off and the other went to the old single light switch- No Exhaust fan before remodel.

this is where it goes off the rails. Switch one is on in direction A and switch 2 in on in direction B.
PJ's answer assumes that you have a duplex on/off switch. I'm wondering whether you might have a duplex 3-way switch or a duplex on/off plus 3-way switch.

How many terminals does your switch have? What color is each terminal screw? Which terminal screws are electrically tied together?

What is the model number of the switch?

Old 01-27-14, 01:49 AM
OKay, I have the photos. The black wire is shown attached with whites because I left it that way after trying to switch leads. it seems to work fine but I can switch it back if Its better to. I do not have a model number for the switch, but it does have a stamp on the back that says, "SPEC GRADE". I went to leviton and could not find the duplet switches with Black and Gold screws- any help is greatly appreciated!

Name:  IMG_1869.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  37.0 KBName:  IMG_1867.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  34.9 KBName:  IMG_1868.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  34.6 KB

Old 01-27-14, 02:06 AM
Switch

The right side of switch looks like it is common for both switches. The left side looks like the top has two screws (travelers for a three-way) and a single screw for a single-pole on the bottom.

Old 01-28-14, 02:24 AM
SO this switch is for a three way connection? I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and let you know how it went.