main service and sub panel

Old 01-20-14, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
main service and sub panel

we are planning on putting a new home in and though about putting the main service in the garage in has a 200 amp breaker box in there now.so with that box can I send 200 amp to the new houses or that is the best way to have my new service put in

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-14, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
It may make it harder to install additional circuits in the house with the panel in the garage.

Old 01-20-14, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about supplying a new residence on a property that has a garage that will remain?

The service entrance and main distribution panel should be located where the most loads are. This is almost always the house, not the garage.

Old 01-20-14, 02:30 PM
yes the garage will be there and the new home will have a 200 amp box in it also just was thinking if I could feed the house from the garage we would never lose power while we are in the building prosses just didn't know what my best opinion were

Old 01-20-14, 02:42 PM
Does the existing service feed directly to the panel in the garage?

If not, you would probably be allowed to supply that with your temporary construction drop, and use it to supply the GFCI-protected circuits you'll need during construction. This will let you locate, fill and wire the new main panel at your leisure, get the new service run to it and bonded to it, Include a feed for the garage panel.

All you'll have to do on swap-over day will be to fire up and test the new main panel (except for the feed for the garage), kill and disconnect the construction drop, and tie in and fire up the feed for the garage subpanel. Maybe 30 minutes maximum?

That seems to me to be easier and simpler than trying to feed it the other way.

Old 01-20-14, 02:49 PM
That maybe what I need to do. I know a guy around here said I could make the garage my main and put in another 200 amp breaker in the box and feed the house with but I wasn't sure if you could do that or not

Old 01-20-14, 02:57 PM
The only meaningful answer to questions like this has to given by the local authority having jurisdiction - the folks who issue the permit.

That said, I would build a nice new service into the house and feed everything from there. Beats going out to the garage in winter if there's a problem at that end that's affection the house.

If you don't mind that, and you'd rather have your meter on the garage for some reason, you - or your contractor - can ask before you file for the permit.

I forgot to ask: How is the panel in the garage fed now?

Old 01-20-14, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
You can feed a panel in the house as a sub off of the main in the garage.