Light Switch Timer Blues....

Old 01-20-14, 06:59 PM
Light Switch Timer Blues....

Experts , I need some advise here...just got me a Wall Light Switch Timer for my outside lights. Timer comes on, but program will not work. this is for outside lights, I have a switch on first floor and another one on 2nd floor in my bedroom (this is where I installed it). Switch light has a Black, White, Red, Blue, and the Ground wire....Old light Switch from the wall has Black, White, Red, and Ground wire. This switch is next to my bedroom switch (double switch). I connected Black to Black, White to White, Red&Blue to Red, and Green to Ground....what did I do wrong???? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-14, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the forums!

In order for us to understand your situation we'll need more information:

What is the make and model of your new switch?

When you say
I have a switch on first floor and another one on 2nd floor in my bedroom (this is where I installed it). Switch light has a Black, White, Red, Blue, and the Ground wire....Old light Switch from the wall has Black, White, Red, and Ground wire.
it sounds like you have - or had - a pair of 3-way switches that both controlled the same set of lights.

If so, id the timer switch you bought designed to be used as a 3-way switch? And, if so, did you follow the instructions for installing it as a 3-way switch?

The information about the wire colors may help us once we learn what function each color indicates.

What color wire was on the common terminal of the switch you removed?

Old 01-21-14, 12:09 PM
First of all, thanks for replying. ok, I got the "Defiant 20-Amp 7-Day 7-Event In-Wall Digital Timer" Model # 49814, Internet # 203678179, Store SKU # 469637. got it from from Home Depot. Is just a two way...but I am installing it next to the other switch for my bedroom light, not sure if that would make a difference. I did followed the instructions the best I could since my wiring was a little different from the instructions...the original light switch had 4 wires, Blk, Wht, Red, and the Ground. I believe the Blk was the Common wire...so I connected from the timer Blk to Blk, Wht to Wht, Blue&Red to Red, and Green to Ground. Timer is on, but it will not turn on lights when it supposed to. hope this info will help....

These are the instructions I tried to follow...
Existing 3-Way Installation Line Side (The maximum distance between timer and 3-way switch is 100ft) Timer on Line Side 1. Remove power from the circuit by turning off the circuit breaker or removing fuse. 2. Remove the line side 3-way switch and remove wires, label the wire removed from the common terminal. 3. Connect the common wire (1) to the black wire of the timer using the supplied wire nuts 4. Connect the white wire of the timer to the neutral wire (white). The neutral wires may be bundled together in the back of the box. There may be several neutral wires bound together. Add the neutral to all neutral wires bound together making sure wire nut is tight. 5. Connect the two remaining wires left to the red wire (5) and blue wires (4) of the timer. If the wires are colored or marked you can tell them apart and record their markings for use later. 6. Connect the green wire (3) to the ground wire (green or bare wire in box). 7. Carefully tuck the wires into the switch box leaving room for the timer. 8. Use the screws provided to install the timer in the box being careful not to crush any wires.

Again Thank you very much

Willie
Retired U.S. Army MSG

Old 01-21-14, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
the original light switch had 4 wires, Blk, Wht, Red, and the Ground.
In addition to what Nash wrote the timer needs a neutral. If the white you used was connected to the switch it was not a neutral. White is not always neutral.

Old 01-21-14, 12:37 PM
so, should I connect the two whites to the white group in the back?

Old 01-21-14, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
so, should I connect the two whites to the white group in the back
The neutral on the timer would go there. The white you disconnected from the switch would be connected to the new switch depending on its function, traveler or common.

Old 01-21-14, 01:54 PM
I am attaching a pic of the Timer's wires....I know is a wiring issue, the timer shows the lights being on, but the lights are not on outside.

Attached Images  
Old 01-21-14, 01:57 PM
I will cut the circuit breaker later this afternoon and send you what I got in the wall....I might have the common connected wrong....

Old 01-21-14, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
If this is a single location switch there is no common. There is line, load, neutral. You can check which house wire is line by measuring from ground or neutral to each house wire that is not white. Or is this a 3-way circuit?

Old 01-21-14, 05:07 PM
ok I got HD customer Service helped me out,,,,after about an hour running down and up the stairs cause the breaker...we got it working....from timer to wall---Blk to Red, Blue to Blk, Red to White, White to Neutral Whites, Green to Ground....

Thank guys for the help though....

Willie