Wiring for OTR Microwave

Old 01-21-14, 09:19 AM
Wiring for OTR Microwave

I recently decided to replace our existing range hood with an OTR Microwave. Our house was built in 2008 and the breaker box has a 20a breaker labeled "Range Hood" so I figured it was on it's own circuit and would not have any issues. In an effort to not electrocute myself I hired an electrician to install an outlet from the hardwire used for the range hood. Upon doing this we discovered the breaker labeled "Range Hood" also has our gas stove, refrigerator, and two plugins from our living room on it. The electrician I used told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as the breaker holds up. So my couple of questions are:

1. Is there a safety/fire hazard with this at all?

2. Is there an easy way to take this wire and make it a dedicated line without running a new wire? (The electrician quoted me over $1000 to run a new line to the breaker because he said they would have to run it outside around the house)

3. Isn't it some kind of code violation putting all of those things on the same breaker when they built the house in 2008? Would it be possible to go after the builder to get this fixed or am I out of luck?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes this is an issue on several levels. The electric code requires that 2 20 amp circuits serve the receptacles in the kitchen and dining room. There should not have been the living room receptacles on this circuit. The gas stove and refrigerator are allowed. Also the instructions for the MW will call for a dedicated circuit and the code requires the instructions to be followed.

You will need to run a new cable back to the panel.

As far as legal issues and recourse you will need to consult a lawyer.