Service call or estimates?

Old 01-22-14, 05:03 AM
Service call or estimates?

I need to run a new circuit. It will entail removing 2 other unneeded circuits in my panel. I would also like a pro to take a look at some overfilled boxes in my basement and see if its something I need to address. If there is perhaps some rewiring might be necessary there.

I am not sure though if I should call and ask for a service call (and pay the usual hourly rates) or ask for an estimate? How would you go about seeking service.?

ps: I could save some time and try to run the conduit which would make for a nice project, but I don't think many electriians are going to want to put the finishing touches on an amature installation.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-14, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
See if you can get a free estimate. It never hurts to ask. It would give you the opportunity to check several people and find the one you like the best and do the usual diligence when shopping for a contractor or skilled trade.

You are correct that not many pro's want to just finish a project someone else has started. I would just let them do it all as it won't affect the price much.

Old 01-22-14, 11:02 AM
I charge more for finishing a project started by someone else than for doing it from scratch. That's because I have to cover the cost of deciphering and/or correcting the work already done, and my opportunities for cost-saving through efficient design are more limited.

Old 01-22-14, 12:36 PM
I am not sure though if I should call and ask for a service call (and pay the usual hourly rates) or ask for an estimate? How would you go about seeking service.?
Keep in mind that unless it's a very small contractor, the guy who shows up on a service call isn't the guy who does the estimates so don't put yourself in a situation where you have to pay for a service call and didn't get what you called for, an estimate. When you call, say you are needing an estimate.