Adding Box Adaptor to a PVC Conduit Body

Old 01-22-14, 03:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding Box Adaptor to a PVC Conduit Body

I need a 3" PVC conduit body that is a combination LB and LL style. No one makes one like that. Before I order a couple of 3" LB style conduit bodies (which are not cheap) and a couple of box adaptors, I would like to know if a 3" box adapter (i.e., 3" round slip adapter that is glued into a junction box to connect the box to conduit) can be installed in the side of a 3" LB style conduit body. If you have done that successfully, I'd love to know.

Thanks.

Old 01-22-14, 03:52 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Are you trying to add another opening to the LB so that it can take 3 conduits? If so, that's probably not code compliant.

Would an 8 x 8 or 10 x 10 box with three adapters do what you're looking for?

Old 01-22-14, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Adding an additional port to the LB would not meet the bend radius requirements of the electrical code. A junction box would be needed.

Old 01-22-14, 05:57 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
What are you trying to do?

Old 01-23-14, 11:38 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have three 1/0 conductors (plus a smaller EGC) exiting 3" conduit just below ground level in a pull box. I want to tap into them. Instead of doing a tap splice in the pull box, I am installing an above ground panel with terminal blocks to connect everything (12 conductors in all, counting the EGCs). Because the pull box is in a location that becomes inundated on rare occasions, I want the seal off the the conduit ends in the pull box while still providing access for future cable pulling.

I am planning to use junction boxes, but the only water tight (NEMA 6 rated??) non-metalic boxes I can find are square, which doesn't allow me to maximize the space I have to work with in the pull box. By uitilizing an enclosure on one conduit that is significantly longer than it is wide, I can use larger square boxes on the other two conduit ends.

I can't seem to find NEMA ratings for conduit bodies. Are they water tight, or just resistant to splash, like NEMA 4 rated enclosures? If it's the latter, then I can find rectangular junction boxes that are NEMA 4 rated, which would allow me the maximize the pull box space. If conduit bodies are water tight though, I'd like to use one, if possible.

How would the bend radius on a LB conduit body with a side adapter added be any different than the bend radius of a LL or LR conduit body? If a 3" conduit body is oversized to begin with, why couldn't the added side adapter yield a bending radius that meets code?

Thanks!!

Old 01-23-14, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The bend radius would need to be measured across the width. As designed the radius is measured along the length.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: