Installing light switches and plug in switches

Old 01-23-14, 08:15 AM
Smile Installing light switches and plug in switches

I have a basement ongoing project, the electrical wireing has been installed by an electrician. What I would like to do is finish the installation of the single pole and 3 pole light switches, and 4 floor level plug in switches. If I could list the color and quantity of the wires that are in the outlet boxes could someone direct me to the correct procedure to hook up the switches. I have all the light switches and the plug in switches. Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-14, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
4 floor level plug in switches.
No such critter. Do you mean switch controlled receptacles? Assuming you mean switched receptacles why do you want all receptacles switched? Normally only one or half of a duplex receptacle is switched. Or do you have four switches and four receptacles?

Old 01-23-14, 07:42 PM
3 pole light switches
Are you switching 3-phase equipment?

Old 01-23-14, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Perhaps reading Wiring Simplified will give you a basic understanding of wiring.

If you are doing this to save money it is probably not worth the small amount you might save. Also many professionals will not want the homeowner "helping". It costs them too much time to straighten things out.

Old 01-24-14, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the forums!

What I would like to do is finish the installation of the single pole and 3 pole light switches...
I'm not sure what you're asking about. Did you mean to say "the single pole and 3 pole light switches"?If so, I'll guess that you're asking about single-pole single-throw switches, also known as on/off or single-location switches, and single-pole double-throw switches, which are commonly called 3-way switches.

...and 4 floor level plug in switches.
What are those?

But to get back to your original question, you said
What I would like to do is finish the installation of...
I don't know what agreement you made with the electrician who installed the wiring, but here's how that works on my jobs:

Before anyone else touches any part of work I'm contracted and obligated to do, they must have my express permission to do so. This specifically includes the homeowner. If anyone violates this rule, I not only walk off the job, I report it to the AHJ.

If I'm asked to agree to an arrangement like this while the contract is being negotiated, I'll either find an excuse not to take the job, or I'll agree to take it and then quote double - or more - my true estimate for the part that I'll do.

(Note to self: Re-think this. You've wound up with too many of these recently.)

IOW,
Originally Posted by pcboss
If you are doing this to save money it is probably not worth the small amount you might save. Also many professionals will not want the homeowner "helping". It costs them too much time to straighten things out.
Also,
Originally Posted by pcboss
Perhaps reading Wiring Simplified will give you a basic understanding of wiring.

Old 01-25-14, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
3 pole light switches, and 4 floor level plug
If, by the info in the quote, you mean 3 way and 4 way switches, we might be able to help. If the wiring was done by an electrician many cases they will identify the wires in the boxes so that the finish will be easier.

With 3 ways, we twist the travelers together, and then wrap the common wire around the travelers.

4 ways we just twist the common sets of travelers together.

Receptacles will just be black to brass, white to silver, and green to ground (bare)

Old 01-25-14, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
According to the O/P's profile he hasn't been on the board since he posted. Last time listed "01-23-14 11:01 Am", two hours after posting. Seems we may have a drive-by here. Given the ambiguity of his post maybe we should just wait to see if he comes back.

Old 01-27-14, 02:13 PM
I have talked to the electrician that installed the light switch and floor plug boxes and wired them, he is going to get with me and finish the job. So I thank you all for your replies and information.

Old 01-27-14, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for letting us know. Sorry we couldn't help more.