Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring Help - 3 Wire Relay for Wireless on Split Duplex Daisy Chained Outlet

Wiring Help - 3 Wire Relay for Wireless on Split Duplex Daisy Chained Outlet

Old 01-23-14, 10:58 AM
Question Wiring Help - 3 Wire Relay for Wireless on Split Duplex Daisy Chained Outlet

Hi All:

I recently purchased a 3 wire wireless relay and rocker switch kit in order to install a wireless light switch in a bedroom that isn't wired for this right now.

I wanted someone to look at my wiring diagram to be sure that I have everything correct. The current outlets are daisy chained so there are 2 sets of White (Neutral) & Black (Hot) wires going into the outlet and the outlet is bridged on both sides.

My thought is to remove the bridge on the hot side and connect the 2 hots and the relay hot on the bottom screw, the Red (Switched Hot) into the hot on the top screw on the hot side and add the neutral in on either of the neutral terminals. This should give me a switched top outlet and a continuous bottom outlet while also keeping the other outlets in the chain all continuous. I made a quick drawing if you can take a look and let me know if I have anything wrong or if there is a better way to do it.
Name:  Outlet and Relay.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  18.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-14, 11:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Your wiring will work as shown.
Where does the relay go ? It's not going to fit in the junction box.

I've seen remote kits where the relay unit occupies one half of a wall receptacle and it comes with a wall switch plate kit that just sticks on the wall.

Old 01-24-14, 06:24 AM
I had some friends also validate the diagram and everything did work fine!

I was able to squeeze the relay into the junction box in the wall as it was pretty small (1" cube or so). Its a Leviton wireless relay for use with a wireless light switch that I bought. I went with a dual rocker light switch to control 2 different lights in my bedroom.

When I opened up the box again, I noticed another set of wires in one of the sockets which look like they could have belonged to the original light switch but after testing them it appears they are abandoned so I capped and taped them in the box and in the light switch box as well.

Everything is working great! 1 More of these to go and everything will work as planned and then I can add another switch set in the future by the bed so we can turn them on and off from there as well.