Want to add lights but afraid I need much more

Old 01-23-14, 07:51 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bedroom/hall receptacles on same circuit as bath receptacle/lights

I'd like to add a pair of wall sconces to my bathroom to improve the lighting around the mirrors. I have a ranch home with an attic accessible by stairs. My plan was to cut two holes for circular old work boxes, fish wire from the attic through the wall cavity and wire the two new boxes in parallel with the existing three recessed lights above.

When I got to pulling the blown insulation off it started looking a little scary so I kept exploring. The circuit for my bathroom lights began at the breaker, fed an outlet in the bedroom/office across the hall from my bathroom, then to another outlet a stud away in the hallway between the bath and bedroom, then to a doorbell in the hallway, to the bathroom's only outlet (not gfci), to a junction box where it split to the wall switch & 3 recessed lights, and finally to another junction box where it branched to a switched ceiling vent/fan (see diagram)

How is the best way to proceed with this. Im not sure if this was code in 1970 in Arkansas but now that I'm doing work on it I'm aware that the bathroom receptacle needs its own dedicated circuit. Can the lights continue to share a circuit with the hallway outlet, doorbell, and a bedroom outlet?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by kenped861; 01-23-14 at 09:08 PM. Reason: appropriate title
Old 01-24-14, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
They can share if there is capacity still left in the circuit. I would try and run a new circuit if there was any question.

Old 01-24-14, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The bathroom circuit must be a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Lights and GFCI receptacle can share it. Your office, door bell, etc can't be on it, so I would take Jim's advice and run a new circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: