Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

USB receptacle has power but won't charge/register on devices

Old 01-24-14, 02:12 PM

Hi,

Months ago I installed wiring (90% sure I used 12 gauge romex) for an additional outlet next to my bed since the closest one was too far. At the time, I put in a "Newer Technology" receptacle that contains two regular outlets and 2 usb. It worked for about a week and then stopped suddenly (this was pretty standard according to the reviews... which I had failed to read prior to my purchase). I finally purchased a 4 usb port leviton 4.2 amp receptacle the other day. Hooked it up and nothing works. It had been an open container, so I returned it to home depot and got another one. Same thing. This time I tested my wires and the installed receptacle and they all have power coming to them; however, every single device I have tried plugging in (iPad, iPhone, iPod) all with different and the same usb cords don't work. The devices don't have any response to being plugged in at all.
Does anyone know what the issue could be? These receptacles got good reviews and they're supposed to work with these products. I don't understand why if there's power, why it wouldn't work. All I can think is that there's some sort of disconnect between where you plug it in and the usb cords (which all work fine when plugged into their "power boxes"- I'm too tired to remember the actual term).
I also re-hooked up the old outlet, and it also tests positive with my circuit tester, but still doesn't work (though it initially did).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 04:35 PM
You tested the receptacles for voltage, but did you test the USB ports? If you look carefully at the port you will see four gold contacts. The outer two are power. Put the meter leads on them (make sure they do not touch the metal shield). You should get 5 volts. If you have an old USB cord that you don't mind hacking up, you can cut the male end off, plug it in, and test for 5v between the red and black wires.

Old 01-24-14, 07:08 PM
So far, I had just used my 1 volt tester, on the wires and in the ports and it sounds as soon as I get close, but I'll bust out my ohm meter and report back. Thanks!

Old 01-24-14, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
I also re-hooked up the old outlet, and it also tests positive with my circuit tester, but still doesn't work (though it initially did).
If it is showing power with a non contact tester then you have your hot to that point but are missing the neutral.

Make sure you set your meter to AC volts.