Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Which Cutler Hammer surge arrestor is correct one for our panel?

Old 01-26-14, 08:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are buying a newer house which has an Eaton/Cutler Hammer breaker panel. Breakers have brownish color toggles. The main breaker (200 amp) is at the bottom of the panel and is labelled CSH 35K. The cat # is CSH2200N and style is 7803C07G43.
Would the Eaton/Cutler Hammer CH SPD be correct for this panel? And which amperage should I buy? There is a 30 and a 50 amp.

Also, does the surge protector have to go close to the main breaker at bottom of panel or can it go in one of open slots near top of panel?

thank you

Old 01-26-14, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Are you talking about one of these?
Type CH and BR Circuit Breaker Surge Protective Devices

If so you would use the CH in your panel.

The instructions will say to mount as close as possible to the main.

Old 01-26-14, 10:20 AM
D
Great. I thought it would be the CH. Eaton lists a 30 amp and a 50 amp. We have a 200 amp panel. Which should I get? I did not realize that surge arrestors came in different amperages.

Old 01-26-14, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The one in the link above are also able to be used as a breaker. Do you have a 30 or 50 amp load like a water heater or a stove?

Old 01-26-14, 11:23 AM
D
I would rather have the whole house one that goes in panel. for our Challenger panel in our current house, I bought a BR surge arrestor that did not have any toggles on it. I am looking for the equivalent of that in the CH. I see they do make one without the toggles. That would be the one I think I would want to protect our electronics etc throughout the house.

Old 01-26-14, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They provide protection for the whole panel as well as being a breaker so you do not loose two breaker spots.

Old 01-26-14, 12:32 PM
D
Oh, I see. So I would remove say the breaker for the dryer and use a 30 amp CH surge arrestor and it would take care of whole house as well as be the breaker for the dryer? Pretty neat.

Old 01-26-14, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is the way I understand it.

Old 01-26-14, 03:54 PM
T
Please keep in mind that panel and meter surge protectors are mainly to protect large appliances from power company burps, and be 'front line defense' for your electronics. You still need to put quality outlet/strip surge protectors on your plug-in electronics to catch what 'sneaks by' the panel protector. Those are designed to react faster and at a lower voltage threshold than panel modules. Also the quality manufacturers (APC, TrippLite) put free replacement warranties and a connected equipment guarantee on them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't get the panel protector.. They can take a much bigger whack than a plug-in protector can. That's why they are supposed to be used in conjunction with the plug-ins.

Old 01-26-14, 09:04 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
does the surge protector have to go close to the main breaker at bottom of panel or can it go in one of open slots near top of panel?
Read the instructions. Some manufacturers specify to install near the main breaker and some say it makes no differece. Square D is one that says it makes no difference. Personally, I prefer to install them near the main breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: