Subpanel Placement

Old 01-26-14, 10:17 AM
Subpanel Placement

I am planning to put a subpanel in the unfinished part of my basement since the main is located in a finished room. The place I want to locate it is between the incoming water lines an large drain pipe. Called Loudoun County, VA and they said that as long as it is clear above and below and behind, it should be fine.

So, here is a pic of where I want it located and its proximity to the other lines (in black). Should there be any problems with that? I am looking at a Square D 20 space 100amp QO panel.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
The PVC on the right blocks clearance on that side so as long as you have 30" clear to the left, measured from the PVC pipe, you should be fine.

You also need 36" deep in front of the panel.

Old 01-26-14, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately, I only have 21" between the drain pipe and the check valve on the left. However, I do not plan to bring any wires in from the sides. Only from above. Can I tapcon a few 2x4" in the concret wall and mount the panel on it or do I need to mount it on a piece of plywood?

Old 01-26-14, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
If you do not already have a 2x4 stud wall, yes I would recommend nailing up some studs and keeping the insulation intact.

I was under the impression that the valves were recessed in the stud wall/insulation. If they are not you might want to look for a space that will give you the 30" needed.