Replace Neutral Bar

Old 01-26-14, 09:41 PM
Replace Neutral Bar

Got a call Friday night where customer heard buzzing from his panel. Turns out the installer (which thankfully wasn't me) never tightened a few neutral terminations. Neutral bar is badly discolored and the screws are seized. It's a GE Powermark Gold 20/40 200A main breaker panel stuffed with minis. Anyone know where I can source a replacement neutral bar before I destroy a good panel just for the neutral bar?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 10:59 PM
Does this help?

GE OEM Load Center Parts Program TLM612U2I would ask the local supply house that distributes GE load centers.

Old 01-27-14, 07:28 AM
Anyone know where I can source a replacement neutral bar before I destroy a good panel just for the neutral bar?
Bad install. Unless this panel was purchased and installed in the last year, I seriously doubt you can get any replacement parts for it, but you could ask a GE distributor. I've wasted a lot of time on similar issues in the past. Even if this is a current production model, it is still sketchy whether you'll get one. The best thing to do is usually what you are trying to avoid, buy another panel for the part. Chances are pretty good that even if you can order the neutral bar, it'll cost nearly as much as a new panel.

Old 07-31-14, 01:08 AM
if this is the first panel box with the neutral bonded to the box; you could get a long ground bar with a large lug on the end and mount it to the metal box.

Old 07-31-14, 01:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A neutral bar cannot be mounted to the enclosure, only a ground bar. You cannot have neutral current flowing on the case creating a shock hazard.

Old 07-31-14, 02:07 AM
in florida,in the first disconnect,we must bond the neutral to the enclosure.

we bond the neutral to the enclosure at the meter base and in the first panelbox after it

all panels after the first one have a ground bar bonded to the enclosure and a neutral bar insulated from the enclosure.

Old 07-31-14, 05:57 AM
That's where it's done everywhere except the bond in the meter however, as pcboss stated, you can't have neutral current on the case.

I would just buy a neutral bar or 2 and mount them in the panel.
I have to do this all the time for generator installs where the main panel doesn't have any way to isolate the neutral.