wiring generator plug to main panel

Old 01-27-14, 06:01 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring generator plug to main panel

Someone I work with had an electrician wire his main panel for his generator. Instead of placing a manual transfer switch and a subpanel, he says the electrician placed a special type of breaker in the main panel that is somehow mechanically linked to main breaker/disconnect.
He says that it has some type of safety feature that it cannot be switched on unless the main breaker is turned off.

Is there really such a thing? I cannot seem to find it online. I would be working with a Cutler Hammer CH panel. Thanks
Dave

Actually, I found the interlock kit online. Thanks

Last edited by Dave4242; 01-27-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 06:37 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
It sounds like the panel cover was also replaced with an interlock cover in addition to the breaker being installed. You would need something like this.

https://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Eato...lockCovers.pdf

Please note that not all panel catalog numbers from any manufacturer have interlock covers available for them and not all jurisdictions allow them. You still may need to go with a manual transfer switch, but you'll never know till you consult your AHJ. Also note that you'll find numerous universal interlock kits available if you do a search, but most of these kits are not U.L. Listed and shouldn't be used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: