Dead Circuit........perhaps?

Old 01-27-14, 07:52 PM
Dead Circuit........perhaps?

Ok so here it is. Water pipe broke above the drop ceiling in my kitchen filling up my over the range microwave with water and getting the gfi it was plugged into also wet. I replaced microwave with almost same exact one.......done. Replaced gfi with same exact one.......done. Life is good for about a week and then bam!.............. nothing. Whole circuit is dead. So checking the circuit I see only the dishwasher and microwave split off one junction and that's it. I replaced the breaker before I did anything else because I already had a breaker problem elsewhere and that fixed it but not in this case. I thought maybe bad gfi so wired up regular outlet to be sure. Nothing still. I tested 120 going to that outlet but putting tester directly in outlet gave me nothing. Continuity problem? I got good voltage going into and coming out of the junction box just can't get anything out of microwave outlet. I don't know if there's another gfi that the dishwasher is plugged into. Pulling out dishwasher means disconnecting a water line to get to it and I only like to butcher one trade per day. But I figured even if there is a gfi there would it affect a separate loop off a junction? The wires going to microwave gfi and down to dishwasher are spliced together I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I'll pull out the dishwasher anyway just wondering if anyone has any other ideas short of calling a pro. And i'll check the neutral too although that seems to be the least likely.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-14, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Did you try the dishwasher ?
If there was a GFI behind it.... it would be tripped.

What did you use to check for voltage..... an actual meter with two probes or a non contact checker.

Old 01-27-14, 08:00 PM
Man you guys are quick. Thank you for that. I did check with an actual meter with probes. And I didn't check dishwasher yet so I guess my question is gfi on dishwasher would kill whole circuit?

Old 01-27-14, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
When you check for voltage..... check from black to white and black to ground.
You need to determine if you are missing the hot or neutral.