cord ejected from electrical socket?

Old 01-29-14, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cord ejected from electrical socket?

Got a weird question here, and can't seem to find any relevant info out on the web.

Last night when my GF went to plug in a USB adapter+cord, the socket made a “popping” noise. Then a few seconds later, when she was about to plug in the cord to the phone, the adapter “spat out” the cord. The adapter stayed in the outlet, but there was a burnt smell that I typically associate with electrical short/fire. We think we traced the smell the adapter and not the outlet itself, but hard to be sure. Then we turned off the breaker for that room and went to bed.

Some context:
-we just had carpet installed yesterday, and have basically been getting shocked by anything and everyone up there.
-we had a 3 outlet extension cord plugged into the outlet the whole time, and no issues from the devices that were plugged into the extension cord
-we tried the adapter that had spat out the plug on a different outlet and got nothing
-in case you’re wondering it’s NOT this: Yahoo!

So I’m wondering – do I have a larger problem? Or should I chalk this up to a freak occurrence that will probably never happen again?

thanks in advance!
jm

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-14, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
-we tried the adapter that had spat out the [cord] on a different outlet and got nothing
OK, so that charger's fried.

So I’m wondering – do I have a larger problem? Or should I chalk this up to a freak occurrence that will probably never happen again?
Understandable, but we can't hazard a guess without more information. What results did you get when you tested that receptacle with a plug-in receptacle tester? And when you tested it with a multimeter?

-we had a 3 outlet extension cord plugged into the outlet the whole time, and no issues from the devices that were plugged into the extension cord
If you mean that the extension cord was plugged into the other receptacle in a duplexed pair, that may tell us that the other receptacle is working properly. It doesn't tell us that the receptacle you had the charger plugged into is.

Old 01-30-14, 06:39 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
The shocks you are getting, are they happening when you touch door knobs or other metallic surfaces? If so that is probably static electricity from the new carpet and low humidity in the space.