Clearence for box and fixture

Old 01-31-14, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clearence for box and fixture

I would like to mount a box and a porceline pull chain lamp holder at the bottom of my basement stairs on a wall. The box would sit flush on wood panelling and drywall on the ceiling and another portion of paneling would be within 6" of the bulb.

What is an acceptable clearance for a such a fixture?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-14, 06:06 AM
Are you mounting it on the ceiling or the wall? Your first sentence says a wall, but the second says the ceiling. Also, will it be on wood paneling or drywall: it can't be both, unless there is drywall behind the paneling. A picture of where you want to put it would help.

Old 01-31-14, 06:09 AM
No photo right now.

It will be flush on the wall (paneling). Picture the bottom step and then to the top of the wall on your left. The slopped ceiling of the stairwell is there as well as the header (also paneled) in the entryway into the basement.

So the ceiling would be within inches of the bulb and the header would also be in proximity.

Old 01-31-14, 11:27 AM
I don't think it will be a problem, considering that I've seen lots of bathroom light fixtures where the bulb fixture is 6" or so from the wall. I'm thinking you will be using an incandescent bulb, probably 100w, bare (no cover). Have you looked at other inexpensive alternatives? Here are a couple:
- Amerelle 4 in. Round Utility White Light with Pull Cord-73012 at The Home Depot
- Design House 1-Light Satin Nickel with Opal Glass and Pull Chain Ceiling Light-519272 at The Home Depot

Old 01-31-14, 12:55 PM
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
So the ceiling would be within inches of the bulb and the header would also be in proximity.
Inches, how many inches? 10 inches, 20 inches or 1 inch? If you are planning on incandescent lamps you may have a fire hazard.

I'm thinking you will be using an incandescent bulb, probably 100w, bare (no cover).
I don't think you can even buy a typical 100 watt incandescent lamp any more unless maybe if it's a rough service lamp, I know they don't make a general purpose 100 watt incandescent lamp anymore. I'd use a CFL.

Old 01-31-14, 03:55 PM
Ide say about 6 inches Joe. I was thinking of using your standard Leviton pull chain holder with a 75W or a 100W equivilant CFL.

FWIW: I bought a rough service 100W bulb from Sylvania a few weeks ago for a work light.... so can still get them but not like your standard fixture bulbs.

Old 01-31-14, 06:56 PM
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Yes, the rough service lamps were not banned, nor were the 3-way incandescent or appliance lamps. It seems the special service incandescents are here for a while yet.