Vanity Light Flicker!!

Old 01-31-14, 02:26 PM
Vanity Light Flicker!!

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a vanity light in my guest house. I noticed that it started to flicker after being on for any length of time. I took it apart to check the wire connections and discovered that the black from the feed is connected to the black on the fixture but the white wire from the feed is simply capped off with a wire nut and not connected to anything. The white wire from the fixture is connected to the ground wire from the feed. This light comes on with another light located in the bathroom with the same switch. I tries connecting white to white on the vanity but the strange thing is the bathroom light comes on when I put a bulb in the vanity light without turning the switch on. Also the white wire coming from the wall for the vanity is always hot. I attempted to make a diagram of this mess because I know I've definitly confused myself already!!

Thanks,
Levi

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-14, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Hope you don't mind but I had trouble reading you diagram so tweaked it a bit.

Name:  elec diagram.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  33.7 KB

The J-box in the attic connects to the switch as a switch loop.
  • The black from the breaker box in the J-box needs to connect to the white* of the switch loop cable.
  • The white from the breaker box connects to the whites from the two lights.
  • The black of the switch loop connects to the blacks from the two lights.

but the white wire from the feed is simply capped off with a wire nut and not connected to anything. The white wire from the fixture is connected to the ground wire from the feed.
The ground goes only the other grounds and the box if metal. White should go to white.

*The white of the switch loop needs to be remarked on both ends black or any color but gray or green using bands of tape or colored with felt tip marker.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-31-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-31-14, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info! I will get in the attic tomorrow and give that a try. I really appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Levi

Old 01-31-14, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Wait before doing anything. Why are there two cables at the bathroom light? I missed that before. There should only be one. From diagram:
Two white to fixture and Two black to fixture

Old 02-01-14, 04:54 AM
That's what had me scratching my head, I'll take a closer look at everything today and see if I can figure out exactly what they have done. I think originally the switch only operated the bathroom light and they added the junction box in the attic then dropped a wire down for the vanity light from the junction.

Thanks,

Old 02-01-14, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Are you sure there are four cables at the junction box and that one comes directly from the breaker box? You need to disconnect the the four cables and using a multimeter determine if one is always hot. You need to disconnect the two cables at the bathroom light and determine if one is always hot with the wires disconnected at the junction box.