Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ground wire

Name:  DSC02306.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  29.5 KBName:  DSC02304.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  29.4 KBName:  DSC02305.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  37.5 KB hi ,I hope some boby can help me i have a ground wire that need to be hook up and i don`t know where it goes i got 3 pictures and the first 2 are the one ground wire that is coming out of the breaker box i just don`t know where the second one is suppose to be clamped too.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-14, 06:08 PM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
One ground wire needs to run from the neutral bus bar inside the panel to the cold water pipe (if metal) exiting the house underground, clamped on before an inside water meter and also within 5 feet of where the exits the house. Size is #6 copper or #4 aluminum for services of amperage up to 150 amps and #4 copper / #2 aluminum for services a little more (I don't have the exact numbers).

One #6 copper or #4 aluminum ground wire needs to run from the neutral bus bar to a pair of ground rods at least 8 feet long and at least 6 feet apart.

For buildings with steel reinforced concrete foundations, one #6 copper or #4 aluminum bround wire nees to be run from the panel neutral bar to an exposed portion of re-bar below grade which should have been at least 20 feet long embedded or wire-wrapped to other embedded re-bars to make 20' of length . Depending on the National Electric Code edition in use for your jurisdiction, this one may be omitted if there was no exposed re-bar.

However only one of these ground wires needs to be an unbroken (unspliced) run. The other(s), if added later and first reaches the first of equal or greater size, may end and be clamped on there rather than continue all the way to the panel.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-31-14 at 10:57 PM. Reason: 20 was 10'
Old 01-31-14, 07:38 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
clamped on before an inside water meter and also within 5 feet of where the exits the house.
When jumping around the water meter (if it's an indoor water meter) you must also jump around the pressure reducing valve.

One #6 copper or #4 aluminum ground wire needs to run from the neutral bus bar to a pair of ground rods at least 8 feet long and at least 6 feet apart.
Aluminum ground wire is very rarely used to the ground rod/rods because aluminum wire cannot be terminated within 18 inches of the earth. Most contractors use #6 copper.