Heat ratings on NMD-1 and 3

Old 02-02-14, 06:12 PM
Heat ratings on NMD-1 and 3

While researching NMD-1 and 3, which are both in my home, I read about the heat restrictions and why NMD-90 is used today.

When they refer to the 60deg limit of 3 and the risk with modern lighting fixtures, are they referring to the heat caused by the current alone or the heat caused by both the current and the heat from high watt incandescent light bulbs?

I have removed just about all the incandescent bulbs in favor or 9 or 11 watt compact florescent or LED ceiling lights to cut the load on the NMD-1 lines and I have pulled any NMD-1 that I could (during a bathroom reno I managed to get 2/3 of one line replaced with modern 14-2).

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-14, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The heat from the bulbs is more of an issue. It slowly cooks the life out of the insulation and it can cause it to fall off.

Old 02-04-14, 07:16 AM
pcboss
The heat from the bulbs is more of an issue.
Thank you,
I assumed that would be the case but wanted to double check, this is what I found in one of the ceiling light boxes. I removed 3 out of 4 of the old lines and replaced the box and no longer have any incandescent bulbs. There was a 60 watt in a glass bowl on this box.