14-2 spliced to a 12-3

Old 02-03-14, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14-2 spliced to a 12-3

Is it accpetable to run a 14-2 wire from the panel to the 3-way switch and then from there run 12-3 wire (because this is already what I have) to the second switch and then converb back to 14-2 to the light? I understand I can only run on a 15A breaker because of the 14guage limitation. Any potential code issues with using the larger guage wire down the line like that?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-14, 07:42 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No code issue but you might want to put a tag on the breaker explaining.

Old 02-03-14, 08:43 AM
Thanks Ray2047. You've been a big help (on my other previous posts as well). I don't plan to do this but for my own knowledge I have a follow-up question. Is it possible to run a 12-3 (or 14-3) wire straight out of a panel on a single pole 20A breaker? Kind of like this diagram? How would the 12-3 hook up to the breaker (i.e. 2 hot wires)?

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-14, 09:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is it possible to run a 12-3 (or 14-3) wire straight out of a panel on a single pole 20A breaker?
Where would you connect the third wire? Why would you do that unless you were running a multiwire but then you need two handle tied single pole breakers.

Old 02-03-14, 10:13 AM
Your answer makes perfect sense to me. That's kind of what I was getting at but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Last question (for now). This is similar to another post I had but I want to make sure I definitely understand. I think new code always requires a neutral at each switch. If that is the case and I understand correctly then that would mean I cannot run the power first through a light and then to the switch. If you run power through the light first then you are basically running hot out of the light and all the way through the switch and back to the light (which wouldn't be allowed). Am I correct?

Old 02-03-14, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think new code always requires a neutral at each switch.
In each switch box, yes.

If that is the case and I understand correctly then that would mean I cannot run the power first through a light and then to the switch. If you run power through the light first then you are basically running hot out of the light and all the way through the switch and back to the light (which wouldn't be allowed). Am I correct?
Not necessarily. If you wire from the panel to a 3-way switch, then to the light to be controlled, and then to a second 3-way switch, without wiring directly between the two switches, you can meet the code requirement by doing the wiring in conduit. You can also meet the requirement be installing xx-4/G cable between the light and the second switch. The white wire in the xx-4 cable can carry neutral to the second switch location and one of the other three insulated wires can carry the switched power back to the light.

If both of the switch-to-light legs are 3-conductor cable, all three wires in the second piece will have to be attached to the switch and there won't be one available to supply neutral.

Old 02-03-14, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
You could not have the #14 on a 20 amp breaker.

If you did run the xx-3 cable you could take power to the switch on the black, switched power on the red and neutral to switch on the white.