Can you upload a diagram...?

Old 02-03-14, 07:37 PM
Can you upload a diagram...?

Separated from Circuit - Switch controlled Split receptacle & light at start run receptacle seq

I have already run some Yellow PVC jacket #12 AWG into my attic, it wasn't easy from my main but I eventually got lucky with hitting the hole in my dbl. top plate just right to see it poke up and grab it and pull it up into the attic.
I ran out of wire to reach my attic access that is located in the hall ceiling, so im thinking of just stopping the run and creating a 2 gang box for outlets, and from that 2 gang outlet box, run some left over white #14 jacket NMB I have over to the access and wire up a switch that will turn those outlets and some lighting (that I still need to run as well)on. I just need some light in my attic, and power would be a no brainer at that point if Im running wire up there anyway. Tired of using EXT cord up through the access hole.
A diagram would be sweet since some of the tech jargon gets lost in translation
Thanks
The Sicilian

Last edited by Nashkat1; 02-03-14 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-14, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Edit: This diagram was made before your post was split. It was based on Nash 's reply in the previous threadt. It may not be what you want to do. Will check back tomorrow. If this doesn't help you let me know.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  15.7 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 02-03-14 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:30 PM
I have already run some Yellow PVC jacket #12 AWG into my attic... im thinking of just stopping the run and creating a 2 gang box for outlets, and from that 2 gang outlet box, run some left over white #14 jacket NMB I have over to the...
Assuming you pulled the 12-2/G NM-b to create a 20A circuit, you cannot use any conductors smaller that 12AWG to extend it. If for some reason you pulled the 12-2/G for a 15A circuit, you need to put a label on the 15A breaker explaining what you've done so that someone in the future won't look at the wire and assume that it's safe to replace that 15A breaker with a 20A breaker.

Why do you want the switch to control the receptacles?

Note: Ray drew you a diagram showing one duplex receptacle with one half of it switch controlled. Does that work for you?

Old 06-03-14, 10:03 PM
Im back

Sorry guys, I had to abandon my attic project for a few months. It did not go anywhere, but I was locked out of my mailbox so I didn't see these responses either. Thank you for the diagram, and to clear up a question, I do not need the switches to control the outlet(s), just the lights along the circuit with the switches.
I'm going to have to re-think connecting the switches to the yellow jacketed AWG, I wouldn't want to sabotage any breaker replacements down the road.
thanks for that wake up wisdom!