Remove a receptacle from a switched circuit

Old 02-04-14, 01:29 PM
Remove a receptacle from a switched circuit

Hi all, expat Brit living in Canada here and a first time poster on your lovely Forum!

I'm looking for some advice on a wiring problem.

My wife and I recently bought our first house out here, built in the 70s. It's in generally good nick but needs some modernizing.

First job is to make the old aluminum wiring safe until we can rewire properly which I'm doing with Alumiconn connectors which are a real neat product that makes the job achievable even for a novice DIYer like me.

Anyway I digress. In each of the bathrooms we had a 12v two pin receptacle. I upgraded this to a couple of GFCIs in one of the rooms and discovered that the Receptacle is controlled by the same switch as the light in the bathroom. If possible I'd like to have it so the GFCI is permanently hot so I can leave my shaver to charge in it etc, but obviously need the light to still be controlled by the switch.

Is there a way to do this using the existing wiring, i.e. without fishing any new cables, or should I put up with the fairly minor inconvenience until I get round to properly renovating and rewiring the bathroom?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 02:01 PM
It is usually possible. Can you post pictures or diagrams of how everything is wired?

Old 02-04-14, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the response Justin. I'll need to spend some time figuring that out. I'll get back to you.

Old 02-04-14, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the forums!

[QUOTE]In each of the bathrooms we had a 12v two pin receptacle. I upgraded this to a couple of GFCIs in one of the rooms[QUOTE]Two GFCIs in one bathroom? And I assume the receptacle you replaced had 120V power. But I digress.

discovered that the Receptacle is controlled by the same switch as the light in the bathroom. If possible I'd like to have it so the GFCI is permanently hot so I can leave my shaver to charge in it etc, but obviously need the light to still be controlled by the switch.

Is there a way to do this using the existing wiring, i.e. without fishing any new cables, or should I put up with the fairly minor inconvenience until I get round to properly renovating and rewiring the bathroom?
That can certainly be done, and is the way it should work. How difficult it will be depends on how the wiring is presently run and connected.

Are the receptacle and the switch in the same box or different boxes? If different, which box does the power from the panel come into?

To cut to the chase, if you'll describe each box in that bathroom and the wiring in, we can come up with some solutions.