Splicing electric cords together

Old 02-04-14, 04:14 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: us
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Splicing electric cords together

I get that I would connect the black with the black and the white with the white.

My project is one of those puck lights under the upper kitchen cabinet. There's a bunch of them, one is destroyed, I bought a replacement (all 120 volt).

The replacement will plug in the wall if I wanted. Instead I want to connect it (spice it) to the existing electrical cord (for the old puck light) that is now hanging out of the wall, exposed. So I must splice the existing cord to the new cord of the puck light I just bought.

The old existing cord wires are exposed, like I said. There is no white and black. They are both just copper wires extending out of white sleeves.

I have a broke extension cord so I looked at it too. Same thing. No white and black. Just two copper wires extending from brown sleeves. So this is the same in lots of instances.

What gives? How do I connect the white with the white and the black with black?
Old 02-04-14, 05:14 PM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,947
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Are these light suppose to be "wired" in to the underside of cabinets or are they stickem or screwed on the underside and then plugged into an outlet? Send some pics.

If they are "wired" in and are on their own circuit and wall switched or tied into an existing circuit then no, you must use approved solid copper wire and a junction box.

If they are just typical lamp corded as you stated, then you should not tie them together but use them as plug ins as designed.
Old 02-04-14, 05:15 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,626
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

SPT-1, 2, 3 type wire has ridges on one conductor. That is the neutral/white side of the circuit.

However, you should not have this type of wire running inside a wall. It is only rated for use outside the wall as an extension cord and terminated with a plug that would plug into a receptacle.
Old 02-04-14, 05:40 PM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 7,458
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like your undercabinet lights have been wired with lamp cord. If any of that wiring is inside the wall it needs to be replaced. In addition, Cook County requires all electrical wiring to be done in metal conduit, at least for 120V and above.

That said, if it has been done with lamp cord the insulation on the two conductors should have different textures. One should be ridged and the other should be smooth. The convention is that the one with the ridged texture is used for the neutral.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: