Receptacles in attic

Old 02-04-14, 08:23 PM
Receptacles in attic

I've installed a few receptacles at the four corners of my house inside the attic. I used romex and terminated the romex inside the receptacle boxes. The receptacles are run in a series and are affixed to the attic joists with the receptacles facing up (not down) away from the insulation. These were installed for security cameras. The cameras are hung on the outside of the house but the power plug for them goes into the attic and plugs into the receptacles that i installed. Am breaking code by having something plugged into receptacles inside the attic?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see that as similar to receptacles above ceiling that the code prohibits. It will be hard to see if the cord degrades over time and could create a hazard.

Old 02-04-14, 11:37 PM
You can plug the cameras into the attic receptacles as long as the power supply stays in the attic. You are not allowed to run a 120v power cord through the wall to get outside.

Old 02-05-14, 12:01 AM
Not an electrician here like Pcboss is but would like to add to you don't want to add any kind of insulation as long as the receptacles are up near the rafters. Not even foam insulation as then you couldn't see the wire. As long as you do that you should be o.k. but I think they should be moved down to the floor at some point in time as it gets hotter nearer to the roof of the house. At some point in time the heat from the roof may help to break down the outer sheathing on the wire.

Old 02-05-14, 12:20 AM
Hedge, they're on the floor now.
The receptacles are run in a series and are affixed to the attic joists with the receptacles facing up (not down) away from the insulation.
Mike90, are these receptacles GFCI protected?

The receptacles for your cameras can be mounted face down in your roof overhangs, for examplr.

Old 02-05-14, 01:39 AM
I see that as similar to receptacles above ceiling that the code prohibits.
Citation, please? ...............................

Old 02-05-14, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
400.8. .

Old 02-05-14, 04:59 PM
400.8 deals with flexible cords, it says nothing about having receptacles in an attic space.

Old 02-05-14, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
400.8 deals with flexible cords, it says nothing about having receptacles in an attic space.
From the OP:
but the power plug for them goes into the attic and plugs into the receptacles that i installed.
So you can have a receptacle in an attic, just never plug anything into it except temporary stuff, like a light.

Old 02-05-14, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I could have worded that better, but TI has it explained.

Old 02-05-14, 10:21 PM
Okay, that makes much more sense. However, I wonder if it changes because the output of the plug-in power supply is a class 2 limited power circuit?

Old 02-05-14, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
A little confusion here........ OP hasn't defined what a "power plug" is.

Most cameras run on low voltage and require a plug in power supply. That would be allowed as the wiring from the power supply to the camera is low voltage.

If the cameras actually run on 120vac with an attached power cord.... that would be a problem.

Old 02-06-14, 07:58 AM
Most cameras run on low voltage and require a plug in power supply. That would be allowed as the wiring from the power supply to the camera is low voltage.

If the cameras actually run on 120vac with an attached power cord.... that would be a problem
So;
(Receptacle in attic)--> (plug)--> (reduce to low voltage)--> (wire goes outside)--> (camera)
Is ok,

But,
(Receptacle in attic)--> (plug)--> (wire goes outside)--> (reduce to low voltage)--> (camera)
Is bad?

Old 02-06-14, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
The part that is bad or not acceptable is that you cannot run a 120vac power cord from a device thru the wall.

Old 02-08-14, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
Install the receptacle under the soffit and plug the camera(s) in there. No code violation. I would not want the transformer is a hot attic anyway.