branch wiring

Old 02-06-14, 03:52 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
branch wiring

I am installing 4 new outlets ion an unfinsihed basement on a new fuse. Because of where the panel is located and where i want the outlets, it would be easiest to split the wire before the first fixture and run wires in different directions. In essesence I would create a "t" inside a box joing the wires with wire nuts and running the wires from there. I cant find if that is code compliant.

Old 02-06-14, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can also pigtail two cables going in each direction inside the breaker/fuse panel connecting the pigtail to the fuse block/breaker screw and neutral buss.

Old 02-06-14, 06:13 AM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
I am installing 4 new outlets ion an unfinsihed basement
You need to have GFCI protection for these receptacles. If the outlets are lights, GFCI protection would not be required.

Old 02-06-14, 07:03 AM
A
Received 114 Votes on 105 Posts
Yes, you can have the circuit branch off in two different directions from a box with or without a receptacle or switch in it.

You need to be careful to have the box in question large enough for the various wires entering it. If you put a ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle there (it can protect both branches) you should use a box larger than the box fill rules call for since the GFCI unit is larger than an ordinary duplex receptacle.

Quick summary of applicable USA box fill rules: Each hot or neutral conductor, 1 point. All the ground wires, 1 point. All the clamps or fingers inside the box, one point. Short lengths wholly within box (pigtails), 0 points. Wire nuts, 0 points. Each switch or duplex receptacle or single receptacle up to 20 amps, 2 points. For 12 gauge wires, 2-1/4 cubic inches per point, For 14 gauge wires, 2 ci per point.

Example: Two wire feed cable, 2 points. Two 2-wire continuing cables, 4 points. Grounds, 1 points, clamps, 1 point, one receptacle, 2 points, total 10 points. For 20 amp 12 gauge circuit you need a box of at least 22-1/2 ci.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: