gfci outlet breakers

Old 03-03-01, 05:49 AM
Visiting Guest
i tried to install a new two outlet 20 amp gfci in my bathroom, it has two wires one into the outlet one out of the outlet with ground. when i finished and reset the breaker the reset button on the outlet was out and when pushed in it would not stay in. I followed the instructions and found the lead and line wires but did not make a difference when i changed them. I also tried two different new outlets in the same wire box. Can you hook up a gfci on a line protected by a gfi breaker in the panel, how many outlets can you have and can they be placed anywhere in the circuit.

Old 03-03-01, 09:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your questions are a bit confusing, but I'll try.

Q: Can you hook up a gfci on a line protected by a gfi breaker in the panel?

A: Yes, but seems like a waste of money to me.

Q: How many outlets can you have?

A: There is no limit. Buy as many as Home Depot will sell you. Seriously, your question may mean one of any number of things, but the answer is still the same -- no limit.

Q: and can they be placed anywhere in the circuit?

A: Still not sure of the intent of the question, but it seems the answer must be "yes" no matter what you meant.

You say "would not stay in," but you didn't say whether or not the outlet still had power after you pushed the button. All you really care about is whether the GFCI did its job or not.

Was there a non-GFCI outlet there before, or is this a new installation?

Old 03-03-01, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I'm not an electrician, and certainly know FAR less than John about this, but if you have a gfci breaker on your bathroom outlet circuit, as John said, you don't need gfci outlets.
That may be part of your problem. Very sensitive gfci breaker PLUS very sensitive gfci outlets.
As for WHERE you install a gfci outlet in a circuit, if you install one gfci outlet as the first one in a circuit, all non-gfci outlets beyond it on the same circuit will be gfci protected.
If you had non-gfci outlets before on a gfci breaker, that is exactly what I would install.
John, a 20v gfci bathroom outlet on 14/2wg and a non-gfci 15 amp breaker would be O.K., would it not? I believe that the answer is "yes", but I wanted your opinion. (Another case, but similar subject.)
Mike

Old 03-03-01, 01:48 PM
J
Mike, thanks for your "first on the circuit" comment. That may indeed be what outthedoorat44 was trying to get at.

You should not install a 20-amp outlet on a 15-amp circuit. But if you're talking about a 15-amp GFCI with 20-amp downstream protection, then that's okay. If you have a 15-amp circuit however, you should not install any outlet with that funny sideways "T" shaped slot. The problem is that you could fool somebody into plugging a 20-amp appliance into it (as if anybody had any 20-amp appliances).

And you know a lot more than I do about a lot of things.

Old 03-04-01, 02:21 AM
Visiting Guest
gfci

thanks for all the help sorry it helped a lot

Old 03-04-01, 01:34 PM
J
Why are you sorry that it helped a lot?

Old 03-04-01, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Sorry help?
I've been called worse.
LOL

Old 03-04-01, 06:42 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I question what John said on the subject of two GFIs on the same circuit. The CBoards make limited contact between the hot and the grounded wires in the circuitry of a GFI. The two GFIs tend to fight each other and have ghost openings due to the circuitry of the other GFI causing a false reading. My opinion is two GFIs will fight each other if on the same circuit. This opinion is by past experience as an inspector. People misunderstood and had 6 receptacles in a garage and had 6 GFIs. None would work. When one was installed on the first of the circuit and normal receptacles were installed as intended on the load side of that one GFI using the same wiring they worked.

What ya think, any other opinions?

Wg

Old 03-05-01, 08:47 AM
J
Thanks Wg. I worried about that myself, but I wasn't sure it was a problem. But your experiences certainly indicate this possibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: