Low Voltage control of Air Compressor

Old 02-07-14, 05:50 PM
Low Voltage control of Air Compressor

I am building a new shop in my garage and as it is noisy I plan to put my air compressor as far away as possible. I would like to be able to turn the compressor on via any one of several door bell type switches placed around my shop area. And then back off the same way from any switch.

I am thinking of low voltage as 24vac from a bell transformer.
The compressor is 120vac.

Can anyone direct me to a relay configuration that will allow for this type of control.

John

Last edited by Bigdaddy9901; 02-07-14 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-14, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

We know your compressor is 120vac.... what is the amperage it draws ?

Do you want to use a single pushbutton switch at each location to control the compressor ?

Old 02-07-14, 09:06 PM
Air Compressor Control

Welcome to the forum. More information would be helpful such as the size of your garage, the H.P. of you compressor. I am curious as to why you need so much control as most compressors have a tank and pressure switch that shuts them off when they reach the desired pressure. Multiple location control can be done with momentary push-button (start/stop) controls that you can buy or build yourself wired with all the starts in parallel and the stops in series to a 24V coil on a two-pole H.P. rated contactor using one-pole as the aux contact for the control. You would then be able to turn the compressor on or off from any location. Your transformer needs to be sized based on the coil in the contactor. The contactor needs to be size based on the H.P. of your compressor. If you use standard NEMA control push buttons the contact blocks are rated 10amp 600V. The length of your control circuit could be an issue depending on how far away your compressor will be located.