Siemens 80 amp breaker replacement

Old 02-07-14, 08:52 PM
Siemens 80 amp breaker replacement

Hi,

I have a 225 amp Siemens panel model g4242mb1225 which I need to replace a breaker on.

Its an 80 amp which goes to a sub breaker box for the upstairs wiring.
All the lights on that sub are flickering and the breaker is buzzing.

I need it as soon as possible, but HD and Lowes don't seem to carry it in store.
Is there an equivalent I could use? Would be work instead or any other brand?

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-14, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Its an 80 amp which goes to a sub breaker box for the upstairs wiring.
That sounds like a larger breaker then I would expect for the purpose. Is it really 80 on each handle or is it a breaker with 40 on each handle?

Have you pulled the breaker and checked the condition of the buss bars then reseated the breaker?

Old 02-07-14, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You really need to have the bus bar checked. Adding a new breaker to a damaged bus will not solve the problem.

Old 02-07-14, 10:23 PM
Its a 2 pole. I dont know much about electrical - I had an electrician round to replace the main 200amp breaker which was hot and burning, and he replaced it with a 225.

He said he also noticed the 80amp breaker to the (125amp) sub panel also needed replacing but he didnt have one to hand and told me I could do that one myself.

He actually recommended upping the amps to 90 or 100. ?!?!

It powers the sub which powers all the upstairs, my downstairs lighting and my living room. So it does have a lot to do.

Lowes has the siemens 90amp in stock, so I need to be sure that this is not too high.
Its obviously below the 125 rating for the sub panel, but does this mean the wiring inbetween the main panel and sub panel will take more amps? (not that I'm ever likely to draw 90 amps from these circuits)

Old 02-08-14, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
See my post in your other thread.

Old 02-08-14, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
replace the main 200amp breaker which was hot and burning, and he replaced it with a 225.... He said he also noticed the 80amp breaker to the (125amp) sub panel also needed replacing... recommended upping the amps to 90 or 100
Did he have a license, did he pull a permit?
Its obviously below the 125 rating for the sub panel, but does this mean the wiring inbetween the main panel and sub panel will take more amps?
No. It is not uncommon in fact to run a 100a or 125a subpanel using #6 on a 60 amp breaker. The maximum breaker size is determined by wire size. You would need at least #3 for a 90a or 100a breaker depending on wiring method.

Tolyn wrote:
Unless you can determine the size of the wire, wire material, and wiring method, I would just replace it with one with the same rating. 80 amps is not as common as 100 amp breakers sio it is likely an 80 for a reason. If you never had an issue with it tripping there really is no advantage to up the size IMO.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2skNTRoCQ

Old 02-08-14, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless the wires are rated for more than 200 amps the breaker change has created a fire hazard.

Old 02-08-14, 06:59 PM
Unless the wires are rated for more than 200 amps the breaker change has created a fire hazard.
In order to change the main breaker to 225 amps, the service entrance wiring would have to be either 3/0 copper or 250 MCM aluminum which would be rare in a residential service.

I had an electrician round to replace the main 200amp breaker which was hot and burning, and he replaced it with a 225.
Was he a real electrician or a handyman?