Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Quick question regarding proper connection method for wire to button terminals.

Quick question regarding proper connection method for wire to button terminals.

Old 02-08-14, 05:46 AM
Question Quick question regarding proper connection method for wire to button terminals.

I'm completely new to electrical anything (I'm just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous with a soldering iron) but I have a very small project that I want to be sure I do correctly.

I'm attempting to create a custom power button for my computer, and have purchased a button (1NO1NC/Momentary press) which should do the trick.

The button has "pin type" connectors on the bottom and I'm not sure what the proper method for attaching my wires to these connectors is. Would it be a straight solder job (with heat shrink to make it look cleaner) or is there some type of crimp connector I should be using for this job?

Here's an image of the pin connectors.

The pin connectors are 0.5mm x 2mm in size.

Thank you in advance!
Freddeh

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-14, 06:15 AM
The customary way to wire up this button is to hook individual wires through the individual pins respectively and solder them. Shrink wrap is optional but actually not customary.

Suggest using a "mini" soldering iron rather than a "standard" soldering gun to avoid melting the plastic base of the button while soldering.

They make clips that can be pressed over the pins but this does not save time since you need to solder the wires to the clips, one at a time. Such clips would be useful if you need to disconnect and reconnect the wires frequently.

Old 02-08-14, 06:19 AM
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be absolutely sure. Thank you very much for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.