replacing main breaker. obsolete Crouse-Hind 150amp.

Old 02-08-14, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing main breaker. obsolete Crouse-Hind 150amp.

My main breaker is failing and need to replace it. The panel is a Crouse-Hind LC230EC. Breaker is 150amp MD. I found that Crouse-Hind was bought by Murray which was bought by Siemens. Does anyone know if\what a compatible replacement would be? Or if not where I could find a cross reference chart. attached are photos of the breaker.

thank you.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
There are dealers that specialize in obsolete breakers. I think I would change out the panel completely.

Old 02-08-14, 10:25 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
eBay - Murray MPD2150 150 Amp 2 Pole 240 Volt Circuit Breaker | eBay That assumes that the bus bars behind the breaker are still good. Lots of history of these breakers failing and the buss getting burnt.

Since that looks like the main panel you will need the meter pulled. Best is to bite the bullet and get the panel replaced.

Old 02-08-14, 10:53 AM
I did have the meter pulled yesterday. West Penn Power pulled it. My neighbor just had her meter replaced. There was a power surge and her meter got fried. Her power went out on some circuits while lights would dim on others. I thought it was the same issue with my place but West Penn guy checked the meter and panel. He said one side of the main was failing. He thought it would be a quick fix but no so.... replacing the whole panel is something I don't want to do in the winter. I am hoping I can just replace the main for now, if I can find a compatible breaker.

Old 02-08-14, 03:33 PM
fixed. replaced with Murray MPD2150.

Old 02-08-14, 03:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad you found one. Just curious where did you find it? Some future reader of this thread may want to know.

Old 02-09-14, 11:02 AM
It is a small shop in Jeannette PA. here is a link. I was surprised. It looked like a simple lighting store but their back room had a large variety of hard to find parts. I got to the store at 3:00, just as they were closing. I saw three young men walking out the back, explained the situation and asked if they could help me out. They were nice enough to go back in, turn the computers and debit system on and let me get my part. Can't get that service from the big box stores. Price wasn't bad either.