2 Fuses blew at once.

Old 02-08-14, 08:28 PM
2 Fuses blew at once.

My cousin and I were working on fixing my light/fan in my spare bedroom. We hooked it up and screwed the fuse in. The light turned on and the fan started spinning. After about 5 seconds it all turned off. All the power to the bedrooms that were on that fuse went off. Also the fuse next to it that had parts of the kitchen hooked up also went out. We weren't exactly sure why or how it happened but we grabbed two brand new fuses and replaced them. After nothing happened I grabbed two more just in case those were bad right out of the package. After that failed we pulled out the fuse cartridges and replaced those. Nothing happened so again i bought two more and replaced those just in case. I'm really stumped as to how a fan could have knocked out two fuses and I can't seem to fix them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-14, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What wires were available in the ceiling that you connected the fan to? Was the insulation brittle on the wiring?

Old 02-08-14, 08:51 PM
It's a ceiling fan so it had a black cord with Black, red, white, and ground coming from it. We hooked that to our 12 gauge wire that was somewhere down the line going to the fuse box. We hooked them all right up to the switch. Which seemingly worked for a few seconds before it blew. I since unhooked it all and put it back to how it was before attempting to put all the new fuses and cartridges in.

Old 02-08-14, 10:46 PM
Paddle Fan

Attachment 26306Attachment 26307
It's a ceiling fan so it had a black cord with Black, red, white, and ground coming from it. We hooked that to our 12 gauge wire that was somewhere down the line going to the fuse box. We hooked them all right up to the switch.
Did you have 2/c or 3/c NMB from the switch to the fan? Did you connect the black and red together at the fan or are they switched independently? Did your fault clear after you disconnected the fan connections?

Name:  Paddle Fan SPST.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  23.1 KBName:  Paddle Fan with Fan Lt Sw.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  24.8 KB

Old 02-09-14, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty new to this so a lot of what you're asking I'm not familiar with the terms. I just DIY'd it and figured how hard could it be to hook the fan back up. Something I forgot to add. This fixture was previously hooked up and worked just fine. I just put french doors in my office so I had to move the switch over a couple feet. I thought I put it back the way it was before but apparently not. I don't know anything about at the fan if the red and black are hooked. I left that alone because however they had it worked just fine the way before.

Old 02-09-14, 01:34 AM
I'm glad I didn't listen to the guy at lowes as well. He said that black is almost always the light and red is the fan. but it looks like the 14/3 is what it looks like. the red wire is actually on the cord at the switch not just at the light fixture itself. I really would like to know why it took out two fuses. and why replacing them and then the cartridges won't make it work again..

Old 02-09-14, 08:17 AM
I really would like to know why it took out two fuses. and why replacing them and then the cartridges won't make it work again..
How do you know it took out two fuses, did you test the fuses? If so, how did you test them? It doesn't sound to me like you blew any fuses at all.

Old 02-09-14, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
I'm glad I didn't listen to the guy at lowes as well. He said that black is almost always the light and red is the fan.
But he was correct though I would have said usually. There are two common ways to use a 3-conductor cable. One is where the power comes in at the switch and the other where power comes in at the fan. In both cases one of the not-white-or-green wires is used for fan motor and the other for the light.

It's a ceiling fan so it had a black cord
A ceiling fan does not usualyy have a black cord. It has several individual wires. Can you explain more fully or post a picture. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

We hooked that to our 12 gauge wire that was somewhere down the line going to the fuse box. We hooked them all right up to the switch. Which seemingly worked for a few seconds before it blew
Not enough detail to even begin to understand what you did. Please answer these questions:
  • Does power come in at the switch or the fan?
  • How many 2-conductor cables (black and white) at the switch box?
  • How many 3-conductor cables (black, red, white) at the switch box?
  • How many 2-conductor cables (black and white) at the fan?
  • How many 3-conductor cables (black, red, white) at the fan?

Old 02-09-14, 06:47 PM
I guess I'll try posting a picture. You could be right.. I'm confused and stumped as to what happened and I'm clearly a novice with this stuff. In the pictures you can see the two fuses are taken out. Those are the ones that "blew" I took them out and replaced them with 2 different fuses and nothing. You can see they both have a nice like black mark and metal like it welded it. Also to the fuses it blew there are pieces of metal from the inside of that. It looks like it tack welded to it almost. Anyways anything that's on the top right fuse cartridge holder has no power. My uncle came over with a voltmeter or something and was testing things in there and said the new fuses and cartridges i was putting were good but he didn't check the old ones honestly.. Maybe that helps? Hopefully posting the picture this way will work, because I sure can't figure it out any other way.

Last edited by gr8sl8; 02-09-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 06:57 PM
Haha sorry when i said black cord. I meant the cord that holds the wire is black. I don't even know why I added that part in there. At this point I could care less about the fan/light I didn't have a light for about a month. I unhooked it completely to the way it was before. My main concern now is what it did. Right now I'm sitting with no power to half of my house the only reason I have a computer is because I'm running an extension cord to my living room to plug this in. I tried to include the pictures several ways that the post you just linked me to said and I can't get them to work.

Old 02-09-14, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
I need you to answer all of the questions I listed before so we can try to help you.

Old 02-10-14, 08:13 AM
Ray is right, if you want to get to the bottom of your problems you need to answer the questions he posted.

Anyways anything that's on the top right fuse cartridge holder has no power.
The top right fuseholder has nothing to do with the two screw-in fuses that are removed. That fuseholder is what is commonly referred to as the range pullout and normally is used to fuse a circuit to a heavier electric range circuit which connects at the two terminals above that pullout. In your case, it appears the range pullout is being used for a lighter circuit.....note the smaller wires at those two terminals above the pullout.