need some help with a sub panel for my garage

Old 02-08-14, 10:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need some help with a sub panel for my garage

i am running a 100 amp service from my house to my pole barn that i just had built. i have a 200 amp service at the house. the distance of the service from house to pole barn is roughly 200ft, i was told to go with a direct burial aluminum wire, what size wire would i use and how many wires,i would like to keep voltage drop to a minimum if possible, second i was given a breaker panel for the garage I'm just not sure if i can use it for this application it is a GE A series panel AQF1121AB Your help will be greatly appreciated

Old 02-08-14, 11:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage

The GE A-Series panel uses Bolt-on breakers. If thats not a problem (more cost) then it should be ok, otherwise you should get a Load-Center and use plug-In breakers. #1/0 XLP-USE ALuminum will give you under a 3% voltage drop with a load of 80 Amps. If you don't think you will see that kind of load you could use #1 Aluminum, which at 70amps calc's at under 3%. You would need three aluminum conductors (2-hots and 1-neutral) and a copper ground conductor #8 if you run #1 AL or #6 if you run #1/0 AL. You will need a building disconnect ahead of your panel at the garage or a Main Breaker in your panel. Also a ground-rod.

Old 02-09-14, 08:11 AM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
If you are fine with a direct burial feeder, I'd use mobile home feeder which has all 4 wires you need, all aluminum.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...prodcatsheet15

Old 02-09-14, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Something strange about the product sheets at southwire. I couldn't open them.

southwire_AL Mobile Home Feeder

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: