Is my plan for new circuits OK?

Old 02-10-14, 09:38 PM
Question Is my plan for new circuits OK?

My house has a 200 amp main breaker box. Running off of that is a 60 amp subpanel.

The main breaker box has 30 slots (2 of them are used to run the subpanel).

The subpanel has 16 slots.

They are both Square D brand, in good shape, and are about 15 years old. Some of the wiring in the house is knob-and-tube. And the rest of it is from the 1940's, 1960's, and a little bit from 2000's. It is very unorganized, with receptacles and lights on random circuits. I eventually plan to re-wire the whole house, one room at a time. Right now I am planning out how my circuits will go to make sure I have enough room in the boxes.

I have a lot of different things to run including 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 outbuildings, well pump, septic aerator, pond aerator, central air conditioner, whole house attic fan, electric hot water heater, electric dryer, modern kitchen (per code), etc.

I have 6 circuits that need to be 220 volt (taking up 2 breakers), which includes one circuit for a generator input. I plan to get the bracket that goes on the surface of the breaker box for the generator inter-lock.

With all the rest of the regular circuits, I will need 46 slots total. Between the main box and the subpanel, I have exactly 46 available.

Is it OK to use up every single slot? I might be able to combine a couple of things to cut the number of circuits down by 1 or 2, if needed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-14, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
I have 6 circuits that need to be 220 volt (taking up 2 breakers), which includes one circuit for a generator input. I plan to get the bracket that goes on the surface of the breaker box for the generator inter-lock.
You don't have 220. You have 240. Be sure interlocks are approved in your jurisdiction.
Is it OK to use up every single slot? I might be able to combine a couple of things to cut the number of circuits down by 1 or 2, if needed
Do the panels take tandems?

Old 02-10-14, 10:03 PM
Yes, I should call it 240 volt, not 220.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the panel will take tandem breakers. But I would like to avoid using them if possible.

Old 02-10-14, 11:04 PM
Breaker Space

If you want to use all full-size breakers then you should consider installing another panel next to the 200-amp panel and installing some of your new circuits from there. Not knowing your layout (surface, indoors, outdoors etc) it's hard to give you any layout advice but since you have a lot of new wiring planned now is the time to add a panel to keep things organized and neat.