Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New 220v plug 4 wire on new stove but wiring in house is 3 wire

Old 02-11-14, 08:31 PM

I am replacing a hard-wired stovetop (1970's) with a new stand alone stove/range. The plug that I purchased with the stove is 4 prong 50amp. The wiring in the wall is only 3 wires. There is a black, a black with a red stipe and a silver "stranded wire. I believe that the silver stranded is the ground but it could be the neutral. I hooked it up to the ground then got nervous because I didn't have a neutral. My concern is if the silver wire is the neutral or the ground and how do I wire it up properly, safely, and without frying the new stove or killing myself? I appreciate any help

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-14, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You will need to replace that old aluminum two wire cable plus ground with 6-3 NM-b copper which has three conductors and a ground in it.

Old 02-12-14, 06:26 AM
Stop what you are trying to do.

What gauge cable do you have now? Can you read any markings?
What size circuit does the new range require - from the book?

You should be able to use a 3-wire cord to connect to the existing outlet - check the instructions on the range. Code does not require you to update the circuit as long as you aren't modifying it.

It does not look like aluminum wire. I'm thinking tin plated copper from the appearance.

Old 02-12-14, 06:53 AM
It does not look like aluminum wire. I'm thinking tin plated copper from the appearance.
I also think the conductors are tinned copper.

You should be able to use a 3-wire cord to connect to the existing outlet - check the instructions on the range. Code does not require you to update the circuit as long as you aren't modifying it.
The OP stated the existing appliance was hardwire so there is no existing receptacle.

The plug that I purchased with the stove is 4 prong 50amp.
Assuming the size of the existing circuit is rated sufficiently for the new range and circuit breaker, you can buy a 3-wire receptacle and a 3-wire range cord. The installation instructions should tell you if you need a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit. The bare conductor in the picture is your neutral and when the circuit was installed, it was proper for the grounding of the range to be through the neutral.

Of course, replacing the cable with new NM-B 6-3 for a 50 amp circuit or NM-B 8-3 for a 40 amp circuit would be the best solution if it is possible to install a new cable. If you replace the circuit, then you would use the 4-wire receptacle and 4-wire range cord. Look at the installation instructions again, they should provide details for both a 3-wire and 4-wire connection.

Old 02-12-14, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are going to need a 3 wire cord. You should also need to make a change with a jumper on the cook top. This assumes the unit can be changed and will work on a 3 wire setup.

Old 02-12-14, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
If there is a red stripe on one of the conductors..... that usually tells me it's aluminum.

Most, if not all, new cooking appliances require 120v/240v and a four wire connection.