Breaker Options for wired shed

Old 02-13-14, 11:06 AM
Breaker Options for wired shed

New to the forum and here looking for some advice.

What I have is a shed that I built next to my home. It has been wired for outlets and lighting. It has its own 100 amp breaker box inside. Now I need to tap into some power for it. My panel outside my home has a 100 amp breaker which feeds to the main house, which obviously only has a 100 Amp panel
The box outside has a spot for an extra breaker to which I was hoping to wire the shed into. My problem is that the meter which feeds the panel outside my home looks to only have a 100 amp breaker also.
So here is the question: I assume if I put in a second 100 amp breaker in my box to feed the shed it could cause tripping and just general havoc. So I was curious if I could run a 50 amp and only power half my panel to the shed so I at least had a light and a couple outlets to work with till I can have the main upgraded to a 200. My electric company overcharges and does not do anything quick.
Thanks for any assistance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
The breaker supplying the shed should be based on the power you need. It is not unusual to use a 100 amp panel as a subpanel because of the number of slots but feed it with a 60a or even 30 or 40 amp breaker depending on load at the shed. You may not even need a subpanel, especially if you have no 240 volt loads.

Code note: Any panel at the shed with spaces for more then six circuits must have a disconnect*. This is often done by buying a main breaker panel. It doesn't matter that the main breaker is grater than the power being supplied because it is only used as a switch.

*Even if the number of breakers is less than six you need a disconnect if more than six breakers can be installed.

Old 02-13-14, 12:06 PM
I have no 240 wired. Usage will be minimal. Couple of fluorescent lights. Drill press, grinder, hand tools, pancake compressor, etc. None of which will be used at the same time. thank you for the quick response and great advice. Makes perfect since. I will need a disconnect as my panel has more than 6. I had planned on putting one in between shed and outside panel anyway but now I know I have to. Again many thanks!!

Old 02-13-14, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
I will need a disconnect as my panel has more than 6.
If you have a main breaker panel just use the main breaker. If you have a main lug panel take it back and get a main breaker panel kit. They are usually cheaper then main lug and include some branch circuit breakers in addition to a main breaker. You will also need to buy a ground bar and at least one ground rod. Just a reminder the ground bar is bonded and the neutral bar isolated.