I need help with wiring track lighting in kitchen

Old 02-13-14, 11:57 AM
I need help with wiring track lighting in kitchen

I currently have two florescent lights in my kitchen and I want to convert them to one track lighting bar. How do I do the wiring. Each light has it's own wiring that is connected to one switch. Do I just connect black to black and white to white then to the new light?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are there two junctions boxes in the ceiling behind the fluorescent lights ?

Assuming that one of the fluorescent lights is where you want to put the track light then you would use that cable and put a blank over the other box.

Many times the wiring goes from the switch to one light and then daisy chains to the second light. If that is the case you can abandon the wiring between the two lights as long as it's not connected.

Old 02-13-14, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
If there is no box (many times with florescent lights they feed direct to the light) you will need to install one. A remodel box is what you need, plastic if it is NM cable, metal if it is a metal wiring method.

Old 02-13-14, 08:15 PM
On a side note Tolyn, what kind of weight restrictions are on a remodel box?

Old 02-15-14, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not 100% sure, but they are rated for a light fixture, so I suspect 25#. As always, check with the product or manufacturer.

Old 02-15-14, 07:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Carlin says their remodel ceiling boxes are not rated for fixture support. I am sure it deals with the variables of the ceiling, not the box.

An end feed could also be used to feed the track if the cable is in the correct spot.

Old 02-15-14, 10:58 AM
Haven't ran into many track lights, but the ones I have done....

We just ran bx directly to the track, and used toggle bolts ran through the drywall/ceiling tile and through a piece of steel stud to support the track.

Old 02-15-14, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
That usually works

If you find yourself having to install track where there is a junction box..... the box is just used to feed the track power and is not usually relied on to support the track. You'd use a combination blank and track starter end.

Name:  modern-ceiling-lighting.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 02-15-14, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all of the info on the track lighting. I will put the light between where the fluorescent lights are. The track light has a canopy that needs to be attached to a junction box so I will have to use a box that connects to a stud. Probably one like I would use for ceiling fan. I just want to make sure I wire it right? Looking up it does not look like fluorescent lights have a box just wiring coming through ceiling. Hopefully one light is connected to other light, daisy chained, so I can just abandon one light. It is an S shaped light total 300 watts. I hope it is enough light.

Old 02-15-14, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see that you are in California. You might want to check out your Title 24 regulations regarding energy efficient lighting to the the primary lighting in the kitchen.

Old 02-15-14, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
The track light has a canopy that needs to be attached to a junction box so I will have to use a box that connects to a stud
Unless I'm missing something an old work box would work and it doesn't need to be connected to a ceiling joist or any thing really so you can put it where you need it.

Name:  6fddb73f-080a-4fbd-b546-6168dc5f5623_400.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  16.4 KB

Old 02-15-14, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The weight of the track is going to be on the toggle bolts, not the junction box.