Electric panel Woes

Old 02-13-14, 03:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric panel Woes

Seems the genius that wired my house has to many things wired into 15 amp breakers and i have 40 amp breakers that are empty can i use 40 amp breakers to power lights and receptacles as the way it's set up now i keep blowing breakers everytime i make a pot of coffee and run the microwave or if i turn on lights and run the microwave there are 2 separate 15 amp each with 3 wires running off them to different zones of the house

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-13-14, 03:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
can i use 40 amp breakers to power lights and receptacles
Yes, if you want to burn the house down. Breakers must match the size of the wire. You'd need to replace the existing cables with #8 but it would still be a code violation because the switches and receptacles wouldn't be rated for 40 amps and code limits general purpose 120 volt circuits to 20 amps. But of course you need #12 for 20 amps and you probably have only #14.

What you need to do is run new circuits on 15 or 20 amp breakers. You can replace those 40 amp breakers with 15s and 20s if they are not in use.

i make a pot of coffee and run the microwave or if i turn on lights and run the microwave
The kitchen is a good place to start. under current code it is required to have two dedicated 20 amp GFCI protected receptacle circuits just for the counter top.

Old 02-13-14, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Change any of your fluorescent lighting to T8 and incandescent to CFL as well, it will help you save a few amps on your circuits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: