Wall switch to convert 110 AC to 24v DC

Old 02-14-14, 08:53 AM
Wall switch to convert 110 AC to 24v DC

I have an old motorized skylight controller. It should work off a wall switch which is supplied from regular 110v line to a transformer to the switch. At the switch the current is converted to 24v DC which then operates the skylight motor via the low voltage.

The skylight motor is good as is the wiring but the switch seems to have failed. I can try to get it refurbished since they don't manufacture it anymore (Part of an old Sentry 2000 system by Truth hardware). Fairly expensive if it is even possible - over $150. If that does not work I would be forced to replace entire system with the new version - Sentry IIs - almost $500. Overall seems rather expensive given the fact that the motor/transformer/wires, etc.. still work.

Does anyone know of an alternative switch which can do the same thing - basically take the current & convert it from AC to 24 DC? Thanks

I've attached photos of the switch front & back in question.

Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
photo_1(1).pdf (19.3 KB, 216 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Switches are cheap and could be mounted in a blank single gang cover plate. You would have to determine what type of switch each is, NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed) or combination NC/NO and number of poles. Likely they are momentary contact. A multimeter set to the lowest ohm scale can help determine that information. Then connect the new switches to the circuit board. Without having the unit in hand it is hard to give exact advice.

Old 02-14-14, 09:57 AM
How would I know if the circuit board is working? Are there similar switch/circuit board devices available?

Old 02-14-14, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
How would I know if the circuit board is working
but you wrote:
given the fact that the motor/transformer/wires, etc.. still work
so I thought the board was okay. First you need to put the circuit board on your bench and do some basic testing. Does the 120 volt AC connect to the board? If so connect the AC 120v then using a multimeter determine if you get DC out when pressing the buttons. If not you are going to have to determine what kind of switches using your multimeter and then figure out how to bypass. Actual method depends on what you find at each stage of testing.

Last resort method uses two series wired car batteries for testing. Connect momentarily to the leads to the motor (assuming only two) and see if the skylight begins to move. If so reverse polarity and see if it reverses direction. If that works you have the basic info to devise your own controller from scratch.

Of course if you have a schematic then much of this can be skipped. I suspect all you need is a 24 volt DC power supply and a reversing relay plus to single pole momentary contact switches but that is a guess.