House rewiring

Old 02-14-14, 03:26 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House rewiring

Thanks for checking out my question everyone. Now before I get into details, please if those people that refuse to read the entire question and are just going to butt in and give safety tips.. don't bother. I have specific questions and it's frustrating reading through posts where they promote nothing but to troll the OP. Thanks. And I've already checked with my township and I don't need any permits or inspections.

Now, what I have is a full basement, 1st, 2nd, and attic space above that. Now I'm almost positive that there is a cavity from the basement to the attic space to run the wires. most of the first floor will be right from the basement. But half of my basement is my garage and there is sheet rock on the ceiling. I also have crawl spaces on both sides of the 2nd floor. So most of the wiring should be pretty straight forward.

But as far as through the garage with the sheet rock ceiling, I'm thinking of just attaching some conduit to the sheet rock and only punching through it where it needs to go up to the outlets.

Question herein is.. Most of what I'm planning will be basically bundles of wires. As in.. 3 or 4 outlets run side by side. Would there be any sort of electrical worries from having multiple runs in the same cavity like that? And also in the same conduit?

Each room doesn't have hardwired lights, but they have a light switch connected to an outlet. Is there a reason to keep it this way other than personal choice or can I have that cut off and the switch rerouted to put in ceiling lights?

the other odd question I have is painting. I need to paint each room, but I'm hesitant based on the work that needs done to paint now in case I'll need to operate on the walls. Would it be better to wait to paint?

What I want to do is that right now I believe there are too many outlets on each breaker. I want to upgrade my wiring while moving some off to their own breakers. I have found several "burn" marks on my walls which is why I'm thinking this. I'm not talking around the outlet.. I mean I can see where the cable is behind the wall cause there is a shadow of it burnt into the paint on the wall. The previous owner was a huge DIY guy, but unfortunately not much was labeled. I'm not even sure how certain outlets were run because I've shut off all the basement breakers and still some of the outlets are active. Also multiple outlets are scorched or melted but somehow not connected to the breaker panel anymore. So it's kind of a mess and although I've been told the wire itself doesn't look damaged.. seeing burn marks on my walls is a bad sign. So yes.. please don't post that burn marks are emergency repair time or call 911.. I know this. I don't live in the house right now so chillax.. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about this myself. I was honestly thinking homeruns, at least 1 per room, but maybe more depending on the room, like my office and the living room and kitchen and laundry.. but bedrooms I'm guessing wouldn't have to have their own breakers.

that was a lot.. but thanks everyone for reading and answering.

Last edited by Wonderdoodle; 02-14-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Running multiple conductors in a conduit can cause creating factors to come into play and larger wires run vs normal sizing.

Several areas in the house will require multiple or dedicated circuits like the kitchen, laundry and bathroom.

The code requires either a switched lighting outlet or a switched receptacle. Certain rooms do require the lighting outlets.

Old 02-14-14, 03:47 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Sounds then like I'm going to have to rethink my strategy. I was thinking this might be the case, but was hoping not with the conduit.

The dedicated circuits I was already planning for..

but the switching receptacle I was prepared for.. hmm.. So even if I put in a ceiling light and rewire the switch to it, I still have to have a switch connected to an outlet? Am I reading that right?

Old 02-14-14, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Some rooms require a light. Others you can have a light or a switched receptacle. It depends on the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: