Tamper Proof Receptacles (CEC)

Old 02-14-14, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tamper Proof Receptacles (CEC)

I had an older receptacle become loose so I tossed in a tamper proof one I had. This got me thinking though...
I'm renting. Because this is a rental property, is my landlord obligated to put in tamper-proof receptacles throughout the house and AFCI breakers for the bedrooms as required by the CEC?
American law input is appreciated but a Canadian law answer is what I'm looking for.
Also, this may be the wrong forum to ask. Please feel free to move my thread if need be.

Old 02-14-14, 06:34 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
American law input is appreciated but a Canadian law answer is what I'm looking for.
I don't know Canadian law, but I suspect it would not be much different than USA law or code on this. Here, the code is not law unless adopted by the local jurisdiction. I don't know of anywhere that would require a landlord to update all his rental units to meet the current code as it changes every three years. There may be some local requirements over and above the code such as updating by installing GFCI or tamper resistant receptacles and possibly some AFCI breakers, but that would strictly be a local requirement and could happen no matter what country you live in.

Old 02-14-14, 06:42 PM
So the answer to this question would be something to take up with the rental board of my particular city?

Old 02-14-14, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Rental board (which I never heard of) or the codes compliance office. In most cases down here in the States...if electrical work is done then it must meet current code....but as far as rental property rules...it's more about smoke/CO detectors and fire extinguishers. As stated...it's all local or State (Province in your case).

Old 02-14-14, 07:01 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
So the answer to this question would be something to take up with the rental board of my particular city?
That would be my opinion. I am pretty sure Canada doesn't have a national law regarding adoption of the CEC or that the CEC is a national law.

Old 02-15-14, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The only thing that would force the landlord to upgrade the receptacles (or anything for that matter) would be whoever they get the rental license, or the insurance company. Otherwise it would grandfathered in.

Old 02-15-14, 07:12 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mr.Awesome
.... is my landlord obligated to put in tamper-proof receptacles throughout the house and AFCI breakers for the bedrooms as required by the CEC?
I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know, he is only required to update if he needs to open/repair the line.

There is one small municipality near me that requires a total upgrade to the line if you ever touch the line for any reason. This has caused a lot of "underground" repair work to be done for fear of the city coming in and ordering a small job turned in to a massive overhaul.

Gunguy45
Rental board (which I never heard of)
We have rental boards where landlords/tenants can file disputes and keep them out of the court system.

The concept is excellent. The execution is sometimes less so.
The idea is to keep slumlords and deadbeat/abusive tenants at bay.

In my home province, the rental board sets the annual increase amount a landlord can charge on a residential lease.
The rules do not apply to non residential leases.

Old 02-15-14, 09:38 AM
Tolyn,
Thats kind of what I figured, they would be grandfathered in.

Gunguy,
Thats the big one here too for rentals, smoke detectors.

The only things I have heard being enforced for rental properties is working smokes which the landlord must come test yearly with the tenant and have them sign off on it, railings on stairs, maintenance on the furnace, and basement windows someone can crawl out of. I would assume everything else (such as TP recep.) works just like the owner living on the property, grandfathered in. I was just curious if a rental property has higher standards to meet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: