Adding 6 cans to switch, off hot half outlet

Old 02-18-14, 04:37 AM
Adding 6 cans to switch, off hot half outlet

I have a switch that controls a half hot plug. I added 6 cans to my ceiling and running lcd bulbs in there. Got that all installed, now the tricky part. Running the line to the switch. Found out it will be a pain in my rear end getting a line to the switch as the way my wall was built. My other option is to just tap into the plug.

My switch looks like it is at the end of the line. Just a black and white coming in. The plug on the other hand......... All sorts of wires coming in there. Let me try and explain

Three sets of romex coming in to box. One set of romex has black going to top of plug (the part controlled by the switch) and the white wire nutted to three other black wires. The two white wires coming out of the other two sets of romex coming into the box are connected to the other side of the plug. Then there is this little black cable coming from the bottom connector of plug going into that wire nut.

So that big wire nut has two black wires coming from this extra two sets of romex, the white wire from the first romex wire set and the black jumper cable coming from the always hot part of my plug.

QUESTIONS:
I think I know which romex wire is going to my switch. the one coming in and black to top plug (switched) and white into wire bundle with all black cords)

I need to get power up to the cans. If .... Just if I can get my wire from cans to the switch, I can simply wire it in there.

I am afraid that will be hard. So I will have to tap into the plug........
- If I want to rewire this plug to be a always hot plug instead of switched, how would I do this. I know buy a new plug without that brass part broken.
-I would need to get power to the line.

What sort of wiring diagram would I need to figure this out. Any help will be appreciative. Here is a bad picture. lol

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-14, 07:25 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You don't need a diagram. First you need to know what else is on that circuit. If you are sure that you aren't going to overload it you have to be sure which is the hot lead coming from the switch. If you remove the outlet, you'll will be able to test it. It might be easier to run a new line from the cellar.

Old 02-18-14, 07:32 AM
My switch looks like it is at the end of the line. Just a black and white coming in.
It's a switch loop switching the hot conductor of the circuit, no neutral there. The white wire is feeding power to the switch.

I need to get power up to the cans. If .... Just if I can get my wire from cans to the switch, I can simply wire it in there.
Won't work, you need a neutral. See above.

If I want to rewire this plug to be a always hot plug instead of switched, how would I do this. I know buy a new plug without that brass part broken.
A plug has two prongs plus a ground prong and inserts into a receptacle, what you have is a receptacle. This will work. Simply pigtail the wites and pigtail the blacks. Install a new receptacle. Use the switch to control your new can lights. The white wire at the switch becomes a neutral and is tied to the neutral to the cans, switch the black wire. Wire from the switch directly to the new recessed cans with NM-B cable.

Old 02-18-14, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
You will need to remove the box to fish cable to it. When you do you need to replace it with the deepest single gang old work box available.
One set of romex has black going to top of plug (the part controlled by the switch) and the white wire nutted to three other black wires.
Good. When you disconnect mark those two wires as switch loop. Mark the two whites connected to the receptacle neutral. Mark the two black wires that were connected to the white "L". The third black wire with the white and two blacks was a pigtail. You can set that aside.

How to connect:
  • White of can cable to the two whites you marked neutral and a white pigtail.
  • Black of can cable to black of the switch loop cable.
  • Two black wires you marked "L" to the white of the switch loop and a black pigtail.
  • Connect the two pigtails to the new receptacle.

Note: do not back stab the receptacle. Backstabs are less reliable then the screws. Connect the pigtails to the screws.