Ceiling Box Extension with Fixture

Old 02-17-14, 12:31 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Box Extension with Fixture

I need to add an extension ring to a octagon ceiling box and mount a fixture to it.

This is the fixture I currently have it mounted on the box as follows.

PDF OF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

The canopy is almost 5". I was thinking of using the following type of extension ring unless you suggest otherwise:

Name:  568556e3-7c99-430e-a13e-9df350c01dc5_65.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  1.0 KB
Wiremold Extension I was going to use

My questions is in regards to installing the fixture on it.

Would I use the same mounting bracket that came with the fixture or would I be connecting it to the silver circular bracket that comes with the wiremold and if so I assume I add a grounding screw to it?

Do you think the canopy will completely cover the opening of the extension ring?

And how much cubic inches/ number of wires do I gain by using this extension?

The canopy of the fixture is 5"x1" deep.... is there any space to be gained by it?

Old 02-17-14, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I'm not quite sure why you need to add the Wiremold extension? Why not just connect it to the octagon box? Is the box over filled with wires? The light fixture will add some cubic inches, I can't say how many though

Old 02-18-14, 04:31 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes its there are more wires than listed in a chart I saw and its unaccesible from above. I thought I could add the wiremold to gain a few wires.

Im an idiot here, I know this is probably basic. But the canopy is 5" round by 1" deep... if each conductor 14 is 2 c" how many do I gain in the canopy? (if that's even an acceptable means).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: