Beginner Project, help with making a lamp

Old 02-19-14, 12:39 PM
Beginner Project, help with making a lamp

I am looking to make a lamp out of a truck LED tail light. It has 3 wires (red white and black). Would it be possible to connect these wires to a power cord/extention cord? I was hoping to make it as simple as possible. I do not have experience in wiring, I just like to tinker with random projects, so any advice would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
You will meed a DC power supply. Probably a 2 amp (or greater) 12 volt DC wall wart will work. The LED probably draws about 600Ma or less but the extra amps gives you a little cushion.

Old 02-19-14, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the info... Now how do I connect the 2 wires from the wart to the 3 wires of the light?

Old 02-19-14, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Now how do I connect the 2 wires from the wart to the 3 wires of the light?
Check the diagram that came with the LED to determine which is ground. If no diagram connect the white to one wire of your power supply and observe what happens when you briefly touch each of the other two wires of the light to the other wire of the power supply. You may need to try other combinations. If one of the wires on the light is marked ground that goes to the negative of the power supply.

Note the light you have is actually two lights combined, a tail light and a turn signal light. One wire is ground for both (negative), one for the tail light (positive), and one for the signal light (also positive).